Bootable Disc Won't Copy

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by froggytreafrogg, Dec 22, 2008.

1. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Hi, I own a set of floppy discs containing the complete install to Mac os System 7.5.3. I have a successful way to copy floppy discs but for some reason, I cannot get the first disc of the set of 16 to copy. The copy processes is aborted with a message that reads 'disc cannot be read.' Any help would be greatly appreciated. :apple:

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, generally that just means the floppy is corrupted but all is not lost. Apple has the entire set (which they say is 19 disks BTW) available for download here.

In the read me file at the bottom it does say that you have to have a system running 7 to mount the disk images successfully (and I can verify that the disk images are not recognized in OSX), but perhaps this will be helpful anyway.

3. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

thanks for the response. im am trying to use the copy floppy disc feature in windows xp. i haven't had much luck. the disk that i am trying to copy is not corrupted, however. i have the 19 files for system 7. however i do not know how to mount them. is there any way you could give me some detailed instructions on how to mount the discs. thanks a bunch.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK well I am sorry to say that I can't offer any help with that type of copying then, as the first disk of a System 7 disk set will be a bootable disk so if the XP disk copy routine is just meant for data disks it may well not work with Disk 1. An early Mac would duplicate the disk OK, but really don't know about the XP... :(

When I mentioned mounting the disks, I meant mounting the disk images of the floppies that Apple has provided- meaning opening the downloaded disk image on a Mac in order to be able to write the contents of the disk image to a floppy. When written to floppies, you would be asked to insert the correct numbered floppy as needed after booting from the #1 floppy on a system that is capable of running System 7.5 during the installation process.

If I may ask, are you trying to install system 7.5.3 on a Mac, and if so what model? If so, then that machine should be able to copy floppies and you wouldn't have to be using XP, so I am not following something here! :eek:

5. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

thanks for the repsonse again. currently, i have 7.5.3 on a mac lc 580. the only thing im using xp for is the disk copy. (which sucks) anyway, i have a usb external floppy diskette drive. if i open the downloaded files from the internet, and open them in os x to mount them to the desktop, who do i mount the images to the floppy so that i could boot from them? thanks again