Bootable drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sigi, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Sigi macrumors newbie

Hello,

I run an intel based iMac on Tiger. and I have a Smartdisk crossfire 160GB external harddrive which has FW 400 and USB 2.0.

I would like to create bootable backup of my harddrive on the 160 GB disc - I would just like to have the OS + apps on this in case I need it.

All my music, files, pictures are saved on another external harddrive.

My questions:

1. I have read that a bootable disc should be formatted as GUID - is that correct?

2. I know that a bootable disc has to have FW; BUT do I have to actually have to use the Firewire cable or can I hook up the disc via USB. In other words is the key just the capability or is it actually necessary to use the cable.

3. How do I get the OS + apps + all the preferences over on the external harddrive. My internal drive has only one partition. I actually do not want a clone of my whole internal HD but just a clone of what I need.

Thanks for your help

Sigi

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

1) Yes, intel macs have to use the GUID format

2) The only way the computer will know you have a FW drive connected is to connect a drive with a FW cable. If you connect it with USB, the computer will identify it as a USB drive...well duh! :p

3) Use CarbonCopyCloner, it allows selective bootable cloning of only the items you choose......other clone apps may do this as well......