Bootable DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ceapy, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Ceapy macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, and thanks to a particular person who helped me on my last thread!
    I'm wondering if a mac can boot from a DVD if only the installation file is there (nothing else). Can a iMac boot from a .dmg installation file (if you hold down c on start up)? Thanks.
    Also is a .toast extension a bootable file on the mac?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A .dmg file is only an image (Disk iMaGe to be exact) of a disk (CD, DVD, HDD, ...) or an accumulation of files being put into a .dmg file.

If you burn the .dmg file to a CD/DVD, you are just copying the .dmg file to another medium. There will not be any boot ability.

To boot from a DVD you have to use Disk Utility and burn the .dmg file that way.

Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder (/Applications/Utilities).

If the disk image you want to use doesn't appear in the list, drag its icon to the Disk Utility window.

Select the disk image and click Burn.

Insert a blank CD or DVD into your computer's optical drive and follow the onscreen prompts.

from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2087?viewlocale=en_US

But be aware of

Warez/Serials/Keys.
    Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

3. Ceapy thread starter macrumors newbie

And what if your mac is unable to start up? How would you then run that .dmg/.toast file?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You need to burn that file to a CD or DVD, because a Mac (without the proper Mac OS X) can't boot just from that file (.dmg/.toast).

Do you have access to another Mac (school, friend, family, work, neighbours)? If so, burn that .dmg file there via Disk Utility or the .toast file via Toast Titanium if available.

5. Ceapy thread starter macrumors newbie

No, unfortunately I do not have another mac anywhere. Most of my friends use windows.
    Would it be possible to somehow make that .toast file bootable using windows XP?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know.

Have a look here: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=burn+.toast+in+windows&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Consider changing your thread title to something more descriptive to attract the right audience.

Example: How to burn .toast file to a bootable DVD in Windows?

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

7. Ceapy thread starter macrumors newbie

How to burn .toast files onto DVDs using windows XP

Thank you for your help.
    is it possible to just simply rename the extension? Or would that corrupt the file?
    I also only have one more burnable DVD disc so this one has to work :(
    I looked for .toast to .iso converters but all that came up were .dmg converters
    Does anyone know of .toast to .iso converters programs for windows XP? If I can convert it to .iso, I'll be able to burn the file. Thanks.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Renaming .toast files into .iso files seem possible.

I just did a quick test.

Opened Toast, dragged some files into that, saved an image as .toast file.

Renamed the MyDisc.toast to MyDisc.iso.

Opened Windows, copied the file over there, installed MagicISO and mounted the MyDisc.iso file without a problem, could even see it in Windows Explorer and accessed the files on the "disk".

To burn .iso files you can use this: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/ImgBurn/1128426215/1

9. Ceapy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou! I will find out how to burn the program using Nero. But won't Nero only burn the .iso file, not being bootable on the mac?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

With Nero take these steps to burn an ISO-image

Launch Nero.

Choose Recorder / Burn image
    [​IMG]

Browse to the location of the ISO file and select the ISO file you want to burn to CD/DVD

Check the option "Finalize CD (No further writing possible!)

Click on "Burn" now.

DON'T BURN THE .ISO FILE AS A DATA DVD/CD.
    [​IMG]

If you're not sure how to do that via Nero use http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/ImgBurn/1128426215/1 .

11. Ceapy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I will use Nero and if there are more questions related to this thread I'll post here.

12. Ceapy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I'm using ImgBurn right now and there are these two options. One is "Write Image file to disc" and the other is "Create Image file from Disc" Which one do I pick? I'm trying to make this .iso into a bootable DVD disc for the mac. Thanks and sorry for such a newbish question :D

13. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Going out on a limb but I suppose write image to disc is the one you want. Create image from disc is for copying a disc which already has info on it.

14. Ceapy thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked! haha thanks. Also, thanks to everyone else that has helped me!