Bootable .iso file

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jazzer15, Apr 23, 2011.

1. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

I have a Windows 7 Professional .iso file (legally obtained) on my iMac. I used the file to set up a virtual machine with virtual box, but I decided I would rather use bootcamp (or at least try it) when I burned the file to a DVD and tried to set up Bootcamp I got a message that there was no bootable disc in the drive and I had to restart the computer in the Mac partition in order to eject the DVD. Is there something special I need to do to make the DVD bootable?

This is new territory for me so apologies if I am missing something simple.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you mount the disc on OS X and see the ISO file you did it wrong. Download Burn OS X and make sure you burn it as a disc image not a file.

B

3. jazzer15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply. I got it figured out (and you were right). I didn't realize the 'burn" needed to be done through Disk Utility (I simply right clicked on the file and selected burn the first time). The next problem I faced was a black screen on install. I have a Late 2009 iMac and evidently this was a common problem. A pain, but I found the solution on Apples's support pages.

One last issue. I understand that there should be a bootcamp control panel on the task bar when I am in Windows that would allow me to switch to booting back to my Mac, but it's not there. I am in search of a solution. Any thoughts?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you install the Boot Camp drivers (from your OS X install disc)?

B

5. jazzer15, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

jazzer15 thread starter macrumors 6502

No. I didn't think that step was necessary because I had to go through the "black screen fix" which I thought included installing the drivers as one of the steps, but perhaps the driver folder I copied didn't include all of the relevant files.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

I'll give that a try. Thanks again.

Update: That took care of it (and a couple of other little problems). Thanks!