Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
While I know that the Mac App Store is far from my only option in terms of installing Lion onto a computer - I can install from a disk that is cloned from the InstallESD.dmg file from the Mac App Store app or a DVD burnt from said InstallESD.dmg file, or I can just buy the $70 USB drive from Apple - I'm wondering if similar options (obviously excluding the $70 USB drive) exist for Lion Server.

Specifically, is there any way to make a standalone DVD/USB drive with Lion Server on it (i.e. won't require me to go through the Mac App Store)? Or is there an alternate InstallESD.dmg file that one can acquire via similar means to that of the normal one that will enable me to make a DVD or USB drive that'll include everything on the drive itself? I'm preferably looking for something that doesn't require me to use a current generation Mac mini Server a la the following link:

http://www.hotblack.co.nz/article.lsd?i=lionserver

Though if the directions outlined in this link are the only method, I'll go to my local Apple Store and give it a try.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Is there a way to do this even if I go through the Mac App Store and buy both Lion and Lion Server? Really, all I want is a thumb drive or a burnt DVD that I can use to install Lion Server on a blank drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.