Bootable macOS Sierra Installation on Samsung T3

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Has anyone managed to create a bootable macOS Sierra installation on a partition from Samsung T3?

For some reason, when I press Alt on bootup, it does not show the installation partition which I created with Diskmaker X.

My partitions on this drive goes like this:

1. T3 (For media files)
  2. Mac Apps
  3. Bootable macOS Sierra Installation

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Yes, it was rather easy, and I'm running on one now.

I booted up in recovery mode, selected the SSD, partitioned/formatted and then installed OS X.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
try and skip these 3rd party utilities for making bootable macOS installers - macOS Sierra and down to Mavericks there's a included "createinstallmedia" command for you to use. Apple Support has the lowdown here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

If you format your USB key for macOS then name it "MyVolume" as according to the string on the support page from Apple.

Else, follow the suggestion from @maflynn above for getting macOS onto your Samsung T3 - which I also have to now check out once more just because I feel left behind on SSD technologies.

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Yes, it was rather easy, and I'm running on one now.

I booted up in recovery mode, selected the SSD, partitioned/formatted and then installed OS X.
Did you partition your drive in GUID or Master Boot Record?

I will also try to create a bootable partition with the official way from Apple Support instead of Diskmaker X. Will keep you guys posted...

Currently my Samsung T3 is not bootable. I might have done something wrong when partitioning the drive.

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
Not fully clear on what you mean yet. Do you mean installer like a partition that can be used to install Sierra to other machines, or installation as in a fully functional volume that boots into the Mac OS user environment?

If the former, your best bet is to follow the official apple directions that allan.nyholm posted. I have done this on a T3, the 1TB model and it worked fine. If the latter, you can use a recovery partition to install the OS to a partition. Either way to be bootable on a Mac you must use GUID partition scheme.

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Not fully clear on what you mean yet. Do you mean installer like a partition that can be used to install Sierra to other machines, or installation as in a fully functional volume that boots into the Mac OS user environment?

If the former, your best bet is to follow the official apple directions that allan.nyholm posted. I have done this on a T3, the 1TB model and it worked fine. If the latter, you can use a recovery partition to install the OS to a partition. Either way to be bootable on a Mac you must use GUID partition scheme.
Ok thanks for the info. I meant a partition that can be used to install Sierra to other machines. Will give this a go as soon as I finish downloading another Sierra installation.

On a side note, I have also enabled Samsung security activation on my T3. Not sure if that matters as far as bootable goes? I have also tried disabling my password as well, but in vain.

Will keep you guys posted.

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I meant a partition that can be used to install Sierra to other machines."

In my opinion, a FAR better way to do this would be to create a bootable installer on a USB3 flashdrive (16gb or larger).

Use that where needed....

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I managed to make it work by creating a bootable installation using the official Apple support method (terminal).

Thanks a lot to everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.