Bootable PCIe SATAII controller

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PPC-user, Mar 24, 2017.

1. PPC-user macrumors newbie

Hi Group and fellow Mac users.
    I got a SeriTek FirmTek 2SE2-E controller for my PowerMac G5 Quad.
    But I can't get it to boot as officially stated on FirmTek' site, and rumored at various sites.
    Using newest firmware v5.3.2
    I can install the 10.5.4 DVD but I can't get it to show up in the boot selector.
    Tried both a sata2 3.5" platter disk and a 2.5" sata3 SSD

What can I do wrong?

Best regards from Denmark
    /Lasse T. Jensen

2. Eriamjh1138@DAN macrumors 6502

Eriamjh1138@DAN

3. PPC-user thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the 10.5.4 DVD will not allow me to install the OS if not the disk is APM enabled, but after successfully install the disk will still not show up in the boot selector.
    also tried to move the internal well working boot disk over to the 2SE2-E controller, but it's still not showing up in the boot selector.

4. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

when you say boot selector do you mean Open firmware or OS Xs one? and when you install OS X onto the drive attached to the PCie Card does it succeed or does it fail right at the end? if it succeeds then it means its found the full open firmware path to the HDD and has blessed the drive and written it to Nvram as the drive to be booted from so next reboot it should boot up from the PCIe Card

5. PPC-user thread starter macrumors newbie

Your messages got me to try a fresh install again just to see of it did end the installer and reboot properly, and it did, and belive it or not, it also boots directly to the fresh MacOSX 10.5.4 so what went wrong...
    Perhaps: I got two of these quad wonder machines, perhaps my first priority machine has a RAM failure, I suspect it to, therefore I switched to the second priority box but in that switch I didn't got the OF boot environment setup automatically by the installer as you wrote. Anyway something was hitting the fan, but was it is clean.
    Thank you all and have a great weekend.