Bootable USB drive with both ML and SL?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cdubb80, May 24, 2013.

1. cdubb80 macrumors member

I presently have 2 separate bootable USB flash drives for Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard.

I'm running short of USB keys (and cash poor right now) and wondering if
    (a) it's worth keeping my SL bootable USB? not sure i'll ever use it again
    (b) is there a way to partition one of the USB keys (16gb) to hold both the ML and SL bootable installations? would it still work holding both?

Thanks.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"is there a way to partition one of the USB keys (16gb) to hold both the ML and SL bootable installations? would it still work holding both?"

I don't see any reason why you couldn't partition a USB flash drive into two partitions, each with an OS of its own, BUT….

…. I don't think a single 16gb flash drive has enough room to accomplish this.

Are both your _current_ installations (one on each flash drive) LESS THAN 8gb?

If it was me, I'd just put the Snow Leopard flash drive "away for safekeeping", and buy another one...

3. cdubb80 thread starter macrumors member

Think they both would fit on one 16 gb drive. Just wasn't sure (a) if partitioning the drive would erase the contents on it originally, (b) the dual boot option on the usb would work.

Normally wouldn't think twice about spending $20 on a new USB, but have limited extra funds now.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Is it the Install DVD image or an actually OS X installation on the USB Key?

If it's the install image you can put both on the USB key. If it's an actual bootable OS X, then 16GB is the bare minimum.

5. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

i have the same ,SL and ML in a 16gb stick, no problems installing any.
    you're good.