Bootcamp 101 needs help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alan6698, Apr 29, 2011.

1. alan6698 macrumors newbie

okay, I admit I'm new to mac and needs to install win/7
    so I follow the steps which apple provide.
    open bootcamp assistant (3.0.4 on my mac) choose only 80GB for windows, and click install to restart computer with win/7 DVD in drive.

so here's the problem, in apple web said in order to install win/7, OSX 10.6(which I'm on) and boot camp 3.2 is required.

I went to apple update and downloads bootcamp 3.2. but it's an .exe file!!!

just can't open and run it. I get confused that shouldn't we install 3.2 before install win/7(which I tried to install with 3.0.4 and error said partition needs to be NTFS, but can't find such option in 3.0.4 to choose FAT32 or NTFS)?

and I tried to change .exe to either .rar, .zip, or .dmg. nothing works.....

please help me on 101 steps...

big thanks guys

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You convert the FAT32 partition that BCA creates to NTFS in step 3.4 of the standard process described in the PDF guide http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

The EXE is just an updater for the drivers after W7 is installed. Use the OS X install disc in Windows after the install and then update using the EXE or Apple Software Update.

B