Bootcamp 2.1 and Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mike927, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Mike927 macrumors newbie

I have a disk for windows xp SP3 and I know I need bootcamp 2.1 installed but how would i update bootcamp if the update files are a .exe format?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes it is a bit confusing- but not with a little explanation!

The initial installation of Boot Camp with an XP SP3 disk can be done just fine with the Boot Camp Assistant in Leopard. The Boot Camp 2.1 they are talking about it the Boot Camp panel in Windows (hence the .exe extension), not the Assistant that you do your initial installation with- so 2.1 is to be installed after you have completed the XP installation and you are booted into Windows.

Trust me on this one- because my latest installation was with an SP3 disk too.;)

3. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Tip for when you're using boot camp. Apple says after installing Windows you need to reboot into OS X to eject the disc. Instead you can go to Windows explorer (command + e), select the windows install disc, go to file and eject it from there. Then put in the leopard disc to install boot camp and you'll save yourself a few minutes of time.

4. Mike927 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help guys this helps a lot.

sickmacdoc when you first installed windows xp sp3 was it laggy before you updated the drive to a 2.1

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No I can't say that it was ever laggy but I suppose that has to do with hardware, since the SP3 disk was installed on my 2.8Ghz Mac Pro and not much lags on it. I don't recall noticing any difference after I installed the new BC though.

6. Mike927 thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed windows xp SP3 and decided to remove it because it was laggy. I moved the .exe file to the windows hard drive and tried openeing it in windows but it would not open the .exe file.

7. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Unless its a setup file (setup.exe or an msi file) you can't just copy an EXE into windows and expect it to work. You have to copy the install file. If you were talking about bootcamp, you need the original leopard discs in first to install, then you can install 2.1

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

To clarify one thing about that- the Boot Camp 2.1 updaters provided by Apple do come as .exe files when downloaded from the Apple's Boot Camp Support page as:

BCUpdateXP.exe
    BCUpdateVista32.exe
    or
    BCUpdateVista64.exe

and can be transferred to the Boot Camp installation (which I did via a Flash drive) and run from there fine, because they are provided as "Windows Self Extracting Archives" in spite of the .exe extension. Their only real purpose is to update the drivers on the appropriate Windows installation further than the drivers provided on the Leopard disk, but are intended to be run from within Windows. They are not files to be run while still in OSX.