BootCamp + 2x2TB Raid

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by beto2k7, Jul 29, 2010.

1. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

Hello fellow forumers. I am in need of help. Yesterday I bought 2x2TB HDD's and created a nice mirrored raid1. Then the 640GB HDD in which OS X was originally installed I used it to install windows via bootcam. When I try to restart to OS X from windows bootcamp says it cannot find the OS X drive. Any way to fix this?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you create an array via Disk Utility for OS X, you won't be able to use Windows on the SATA controller on the logic board. Get a PCIe SATA controller card with internal ports, and attach the original 640GB disk to that for Windows (don't even have to use Boot Camp, as it's only a partition tool). Inexpensive example.

It's much cheaper than getting a bootable RAID card for OS X (EFI means there's few avialable). ;)

3. beto2k7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet. Thank you very much for your response. Ill get the sata controller asap

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

You may need to get a SATA data cable too, if you don't have one of sufficent length on hand (disk would need to be mounted in the empty optical bay). Applies to any model MP.

If it's a 2009 system, power it with:
    A. SATA Y splitter (works, but you won't be able to use the DATA side of the cable).

B. Backplane Extention Cable + tie in a SATA power cable (connect up the power lines by color and location). This solution will allow you to use the DATA side of the original cable (ICH = SATA controller in the chipset) for another drive if you wish in the future. There's multiple ways to connect the wires together, such as solder + heat shrink tubing, crimp connectors, or wire nuts. This solution also won't void your warranty.

5. beto2k7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much for your feedback nano and I think I'm gonna go with solution B as it is more functional.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: NP. :)

It's the way I'd go, if I had a 2009 system. ;)

7. beto2k7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well parts have been ordered. Now to wait.... :)