Bootcamp 3.0 HFS Disk Access not working properly

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ryannazaretian, Aug 29, 2009.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Has anyone really tried out the ability to access your OSX Partition from Windows yet? I'm able to see mostly everything but the one folder I want to see, my home folder!

Empty.PNG

It just shows up empty. Maybe it's because I have my account password protected, but just for installing programs, not for logging in. Plus, if that was what is causing it to not work, Apple should have asked for a username and password to login to the folder.

Will Apple ever get its Windows Bootcamp software working correctly? They sure can never get it on the first try.

2. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14320/554; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

I havent gotten SL yet but i was looking fowards to this feature

3. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I was too...

I also removed the password and it's still a no-go.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

no problems here. I'm able to browse thru the files fine.

Attached Files:

• img.jpg
      img.jpg
      File size:
      129.2 KB
      Views:
  5. cuestakid macrumors 68000

No problems here-I am able to see both my mac partition as well as my two external devices.

6. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Dang, that's about my luck...

Is there anything to set up to get it to work?

Also, I envy you rgarjr... I want Windows 7 back, but some of the software for my school (engineering) won't work on 7, 64bit, or XP... So I'm stuck with Vista 32bit. :(

7. fiegland macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. I do not know the root of the problem, but I do know how to fix it. I did a clean install of Snow Leopard. By this I mean I booted the computer using the Snow Leopard disk and erased the Mac Drive. I then proceeded to install the Snow Leopard OS. Before I did this I backup my files using Time Machine and then just used the Migration Assistant to get back all my file and applications. Now I can boot into windows and access all of my files and documents on the Mac Drive. Hope this helps.

8. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I called Apple about this yesterday. They said that it wasn't supposed to read the user folder except for exact files.

Whether or not that is BS, I'm not sure. I would like to hear more from other people about this because apparently it does work on some people's computers.

9. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Try running Windows Explorer as admin?

You can use Windows search to show Windows Explorer,
    then right click and "Run as administrator".

10. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Nope doesn't work. Just shows an empty folder. So it works on some computers and not on others?

Here's another picture of my problem. I put in a few examples.
    hfs explorer.PNG

11. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

This is completely irrelevant to the thread, but which software do you use for engineering? I only ask because I'm into my second year of engineering at college and am curious as to what software you're using.

12. ungar macrumors member

same problem with xp

I'm having the same problem as rynannazaretian, with xp installed on both my macs. It's not a password problem, because I do have access to files and folders of other users whose mac accounts are password-protected, but my own home folder appears as empty. (My account is the only admistrator account under mac os.) I don't feel like doing a clean install at this point: too much work. Anyone else find anything that could help?

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

On BC 3.0 can you read and write to HFS disk?

14. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You can only read, IIRC.

15. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I don't see the driver in the list at al, but I may not be looking in the right place...

I'm an EE. The version of LabView that I have only works on XP or Vista. It won't install if its anything older or newer, even with compatibility turned on. I also have to use Xilinx ISE Webpack which is incompatible with 64bit at this time. I would run these in 'XP Mode,' but I'm afraid that virtualization will cause problems with connectivity in both software, plus it generally runs slower.

Since ungar can see files of other people, I might try to create a new account and see if it works, then move all my stuff to that account and remove my current account. Who knows, it might work!

16. chrfr macrumors 603

The presence of the (invisible) file named .Xauthority in your home folder will prevent the Bootcamp HFS driver from showing your home directory. If you delete that file, you'll see your home folder again. If you then open X11 on the Mac side of things again, you'll get the .Xauthority file back and will need to remove it again to see your files in Windows.

17. ungar macrumors member

That worked, chrfr! Fantastic! I occasionally use Gimp, which of course uses X11.

18. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I have deleted that file and rebooted, but I still can't see my home folder. Any suggestions?

19. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Never mind. I had a couple .serverauth files that were also making the contents of that folder invisible in Windows.

20. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Can I install this on my PC? I have an external drive using HFS+, and not being able to use it on windows is bugging me.

21. legomanx51v macrumors newbie

There is a very easy solution to this.
    Just make shortcuts to the folder you want to access in your home folder. place them anywhere convenient.

eg. \Users\*username*\documents
    X:\Users\*username*\documents

22. legomanx51v macrumors newbie

There is a very easy solution to this.
    When you reach your home folder in explorer, and the path bar says "x:\users\*username*" just add a "\downloads" or "\music" etc. to the path and the folder will open directly.

Just make shortcuts to the folder you want to access in your home folder. place them anywhere convenient.
    Do this for all or some of your folders. personally i have created just two shortcuts for downloads and documents.

\Users\*username*\documents ---> X:\Users\*username*\documents

23. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Yea... that doens't work. The .Xauthority file is created in every one of my home folder's folders.

Deleting the .Xauthority file fixes the problem, but one of my engineering programs, MatLab, uses X11, which recreates the .Xauthority files.

24. legomanx51v macrumors newbie

well i dont have an .xauthority file in my home folder, but i also found that the home folders were not visible too. you have to manually point to them.

i hadn't looked at your screenshot above, it seems you cant read the folders immediately in the home folder but can read subdirectories...

25. teejay87 macrumors newbie

I managed to create a plist file for launchd, using Lingon, to delete .Xauthority file in the home folder every time it is created by X11.

Just create a .myscript.sh file (the first dot makes it invisible) containing:
    Code:
    if [ -f ~/.Xauthority ];
    then
    	rm ~/.Xauthority
    	echo "File .Xauthority successfully deleted."
    else
    	echo "File .Xauthority not found."
    fi
    and place it in the home folder /Users/YOURNAME/

Then open Lingon 1.2 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lingon/files/Lingon/1.2/Lingon-1.2.dmg/download) and create a new My Agent, configure as follow:

In tab Basic:

Label: what you want
    ProgramArguments: a single line with this
    Code:
    /Users/YOURNAME/.myscript.sh

In tab Paths:

WatchPaths: a single line with this
    Code:
    /Users/YOURNAME
    Then select Save & Load.

Enjoy!