Bootcamp 3.0, x64 and 1st-Gen Mac Pro not supported?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cokersa, Aug 28, 2009.

1. cokersa macrumors member

So I got my copy of Snow Leopard today and installed it fine on my 1st-Gen Mac Pro, then rebooted into Vista x64 to load the Bootcamp 3.0 drivers. I immediately get an Installation Error that says "Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model."

So I go to the Apple support web site, which has a document dated 6/9/09 referring to MacOS 10.5 (not Snow Leopard 10.6) and that only Mac Pros from 2008 or later are supported with x64 Vista. That is ridiculous since I've been running x64 Vista on my 2006 Mac Pro ever since BootCamp 2.0 came out.

I tried running running the "BootCamp64" installer package, but immediately get an error that says "This installation requires elevated privileges. Launch the the installer through setup.exe."

Any ideas on getting Bootcamp 3.0 x64 running on my 1st-Gen Mac Pro?

2. intealls macrumors newbie

I had the same problem on my Santa Rosa 2.4 MBP. I don't remember exactly what I did to resolve it, but I think I right-clicked BootCamp64.msi under Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple and selected Run this program in compatibility mode for Previous version of Windows.

Another thing to try would be to Right-click and select Troubleshoot compatibility and select a Vista-variant.

I got them to install using one of the approaches. Just don't remember which one. :)

3. cokersa thread starter macrumors member

You can't right click on an MSI file to get any of those options. I created a batch file with "msiexec /i bootcamp64" and set it to run as administrator and with compatability set as well. Still no luck. Other ideas?

4. jakk2809 macrumors member

Do you absolutely need 3.0? I am on a Santa Rosa MBP using SL with Vista Ultimate x64 and had the same error messages. I just wanted the basic stuff to work so I found Bootcamp 2.0.1 which was the first version to support 64bit. After installing that I installed Bootcamp 2.1 for Vista64 from Apple's website. This 2.1 is just an upgrade so it needs to find 2.0.1 before continuing. It all seems to work now for me.

I'm not sure if Apple is ever going to officiall support newer Mac models. But saying it's not supported, they don't have to fix things for older models. In the future there might be a 2.1 to 3.X update so older models are 'supported' but official support is unlikely.

5. intealls macrumors newbie

That's strange. I've got the Boot Camp installation files on the hard drive, perhaps that has something to do with it. I can change the setting, see the attached image.

Anyway, I'm certain I messed with BootCamp64.msi since trying different compatibility modes on setup.exe on the root of the disk still gave me the cannot be installed message.

By the way, I'm running Professional x64 from MSDN.

Attached Files:

• bc64.png
      bc64.png
      File size:
      74.7 KB
      Views:
  6. intealls macrumors newbie

Gah, just read your post again and realized you're using Vista. :)

The compatibility thing worked for me in W7, but I have no idea if it works in Vista.

Sorry for being flimsy.

7. jakk2809 macrumors member

As of now, no Win7 products are supported. Apple probably won't officially support Win7 until early next year. Just a guess. I figured they have better stuff to do than fix Win7 (like fixing Snow Leopard!).

8. cokersa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comments. I probably don't "absolutely need" 3.0, but there are some nice features in it. I used to run x64 Vista Ultimate even before Boot Camp supported it (had to use a wired keyboard instead of my Apple BT, and there are clock isues without BC that require you to reset the system clock when switching between OSs.) I'm planning on switching to Win 7 as soon as it comes out (been running RC 7 on a third drive but had issues with the BT drivers again.)

Gota say I'm pretty disappointed with Apple. Even if they don't "officially" support older versions (which they should - my system is only three years old), there is no reason to write the installer to prohibit it. I've already been burned with the video card support on this model. This software issue is beyond ridiculous. I guess I'll have to wait until someone figures a way around this limitation.

9. ziutek macrumors member

To install bootcamp on Windows 7 and Vista you must edit the registry to add the command "Run as Admin" for .msi package files.

Here is a link that provides a file that will automatically add the necessary registry entry: http://www.symantec.com/connect/downloads/msi-run-administrator-context-menu-vista

After you edit the registry, you should be able to right click on the bootcamp64.msi file and select "run as admin". With elevated privileges, the installation should proceed.

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Here's an easy trick, disable UAC then run it.

It works for all unsupported models.

11. jakk2809 macrumors member

Thanks. I just tried this and it works.

I am on a mid-2007 MBP (Santa Rosa) running Snow Leopard and Vista Ultimate x64. Like I said before, I first installed 2.0.1 Bootcamp then installed 2.1 Bootcamp. I turned off UAC then ran BootCamp64 from the SL disk. It first uninstalled old drivers then installed the new ones. Took a long time.

I can now see my Mac side from Vista. Since I am on a 'old' MBP (not that old....) the trackpad tap-click does not work. I didn't test the other 2 new features of BC3.0.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

12. jakk2809 macrumors member

Oh, and I just found out that the new drivers renames the Windows partition from "Untitled" to "BOOTCAMP". I wish it said "Windows" because my Mac side is called "Mac".

13. cokersa thread starter macrumors member

Brilliant - that did the trick. I knew I could count on the fine folks here at the MacRumors forums to help out. Much appreciated!

14. alleycat macrumors regular

IIRC, you can rename it whatever you want while booted in Windows. I didn't like the Untitled myself for a while and had to change it. :D

15. muddy2big macrumors newbie

Tried install the registry, and bootcamp64 can be installed now! But wireless internet still can't be used? anyone?

16. MacVidCards Suspended

Worked for me. Mac Pro 1,1 Quad 3.0
    SL 10.6.1

Used retail DVD and symantec MSI deal.

Bingo.

17. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

woo hoo! it worked! win7 64 bit running great on my iMac