Bootcamp 3.1 Problems and Solutions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ryannazaretian, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

As many of you have already done, I installed the Bootcamp 3.1 update.

Like Apple's recent trend. It fixes some things, and breaks other things.

Fixes:
    • Trackpad tap to click seems half decent now.
    • DPC Latency is great now!
    • The Realtek driver included sounds pretty good, although I can't decide whether or not to update to the latest.

Bugs:
    1. Audio is disabled on my TV with the new Nvidia driver, so the audio channel that was being sent to my Samsung T240HD was shut off in HDMI mode. Not sure why... The headphone port worked fine on headphones, but wouldn't work on the TV.
    2. Colors are way off.
    3. Still can't turn off keyboard backlight...

How to fix:
    1. Go to Nvidia.com and download the latest driver for the 9M Notebook Series. This fixed my dead HDMI Audio. Maybe Apple is planning on streaming Audio through the mini DP.
    2. If the problem is not resolved by fixing problem 1, go to the nVidia Control Panel and turn down the Digital Vibrance.
    3. No Fix

I'm just tickled to death that they finally got rid of the audio pops that had to be fixed using Rivatuner to kick the GPU into full gear and to change the way Bootcamp.exe runs. How long has the stupid pops existed? The screenshot is with no hacks at all. This is all stock.

Capture.PNG

How's the update going for everyone else?

2. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

I noticed the Digital Vibrance was cranked up after installing. Setting it back to 0 in the nVidia Control Panel fixed it for me on a 13" MBP. Weird as hell, but easy enough to track down and fix. I wasn't sure if it was just me or not. Good to know I wasn't going crazy :)

3. nconnella macrumors regular

I have also am having a problem. I had imported my LCD-4272100.icc (im on a unibody macbook pro) before and I had a pretty close match to my mac color profile. After installing the 3.1 update everything has become super contrasty and yellowish. I now find it better using the sRGB color profile with the bluish tint. Installing updated drivers did nothing for me and if I reduce the Digital Vibrance to zero my screen becomes desaturated B&W. If anyone knows a fix so I can match my settings to my OSX color profile, I'd love to know. Thanks!

4. cerrutsi macrumors newbie

Problem with ATI Drivers included displaying 16 bit color. I need a solution for these drivers, because the other drivers makes mi screen freeze and blink.

5. tazz1973 macrumors newbie

I am running a 2 month old MBP13" 2.26Ghz... with Windows 7 which was running with bootcamp 3.0... all was well. Updated to BC3.1 today and am now having major issues with computer running slow in W7, when I look in task manager something is spiking and holding my cpu at 100% for periods of time... Seems to be making the computer hotter than it even ran before cause of the load on the cpu I guess...

Any ideas or anyone else seen this issue?

6. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

What process is keeping it at 100%? You can sort the processes in task manager.

7. BallsMcGee macrumors newbie

Thank you! Jesus Christ I've been getting a headache looking at the awful colour contrast. I'll try changing this setting tonight.

8. BallsMcGee macrumors newbie

Another issue to add: Keyboard backlight still won't turn off. That's just lazy, Apple.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Especially when it's your own darn driver and is probably something really stupid like letting a value go from 1-255 instead of 0-255.

B

10. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I'll update my first post to put that in. I noticed it, but it's been there so long that I just don't notice it anymore.

11. Jottle macrumors 6502

Nvidia's drivers never install on my macbook pro (always give me an error that the system is unsupported). Do I need to bypass the nvidia installer, or should I just download a modified ini file from laptopvideo2go?

12. bamtan macrumors newbie

They need to fix the sensitivity of the Magic Mouse's scrolling. The slightest touch and it'll force stuff to move, regardless of how many lines of scrolling you set it to.

13. LordTyroxx macrumors member

Me and my room mate both have the same computer. A 2009 Unibody Macbook pro. I Upgraded his boot camp utility with no problem. On my computer I get some strange error that prevents me from doing anything. It says Preparation Failed. I've tried the downloaded file in flash drive, tried downloading the file from apple's website, and apple update on my windows 7 with no luck. Please help.

14. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I think I have that problem if I don't install the Bootcamp drivers first. I don't have any trouble upgrading drivers once the Bootcamp drivers are installed.

15. Jottle macrumors 6502

Is it ok if we uninstall the redundant apple drivers from bootcamp 3.0? Apple decided (in its wisdom) not to remove previous versions of the apple keyboard, bluetooth, and some other drivers from bootcamp 3.0. You can still see these old drivers in the "program settings" control panel under windows 7. Will this mess anything up if I uninstall them? Is it a problematic that they're still there overlapping the new ones? I suppose I could just leave them alone!

16. pumpk1n macrumors newbie

It seems to me that the tapping sensitivity is fixed on the trackpad. BUT, if you attempt to tap and drag, there is noticeable lag. Can anyone confirm this?

17. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I can confirm both. Tapping is actually usable to an extent now, but there is a really annoying delay when dragging. There is also no palm check, so typing in a document will result in the cursor jumping around as your palm moves and taps a little on the surface.

18. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

If it isn't broken, don't fix it... Or you can try to take one for the team and tell us how it goes.

It really isn't hurting anything sitting there.

19. tazz1973 macrumors newbie

To be honest I have no idea... Unlike XP, with task manager in Vista/W7 when you sort the processes on the cpu column they never seem to have large cpu numbers... certainly nothing that adds up near 100% like you used to see in XP where something would sit on say 99.... Also apart from the basic W7 OS running I only had firefox 3.6RC1 running..... (plus Microsoft Security Esentials/Wireless).

I have shut down and reboot a few times and it now appears to be behaving, I had rebooted 2 - 3 times last night (ie more than just once) and it was playing up each time which was worrying me... am happy that it appears to have settled down.

The red light is gone from the audio jack. The touch pad swipe speed is a lot slower than BC3.0 with W7, it was a bit too fast before, now if anything it is a touch slow but probably equivalent as that when running in OSX.

Haven't noticed any other changes (negative/positive) as I had fixed the low audio volume issue previously and only had the red audio jack issue so didnt have any other known issues requiring fixing and touch wood nothing else is/will be broken...

20. tazz1973 macrumors newbie

computer started playing up and using 100% cpu again... i clicked on show processes from all users in task manager and then saw the high cpu... it dropped just as i looked but i saw audiodg.exe at the top... will have to monitor and see if it happens again....

21. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I would update the audio and video drivers. The one's Apple provided, are once again, way out of date.

22. RobHimself macrumors newbie

RobHimself

Greetings, all. I'm running Windows 7 Professional x64 and had Bootcamp 3.0 installed. Everything ran perfectly. To prevent finger smudges and what-not on my MBP (late '09 build, 2.8 GHz, just received it a week ago) I bought a wireless Mac keyboard. It wouldn't pair up. I updated to 3.1 and the keyboard was perfect.

But the wireless no longer connects to any of my wireless networks. :( This makes Rob a sad panda, and almost negates the benefits of dual-booting as it renders my Windows 7 as almost worthless.

Anyone else having this issue?

23. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

I have noticed that my aluminum apple bluetooth keyboard sleeps very quickly while in Win 7. I haven't seen anything about this issue on here yet. Anyone else have this problem.

Sleeping is fine but i will not register your first key stroke. Very annoying to have to hit the key twice when you start typing.

24. CocaCoca macrumors newbie

25. Benzy macrumors member

anyone encountering this issue in windows 7 bootcamp 3.1?

On my late 2008 MacBook Pro (8600M), I can hear a very high frequency noise when the LCD brightness is set to a certain level.

On my 2008 iMac (Radeon 2400) you can see waves of ripples across the screen, it's even more apparently over white area.