Bootcamp 5.0 Win2kr2 Windows Logo, Window animations, etc. Guide

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iphone2g&3gfan, Mar 21, 2014.

1. iphone2g&3gfan macrumors member

Hello everyone,
    My latest post will be on Bootcamp'ed Win2kr2 (Windows Server 2008 R2) on a
    Mac Mini late-2012. As expected, Bootcamp says Windows 7 and higher.
    But what it really means is any Windows version that has the Windows NT 7.0
    kernel. So that means that Win2kr2 is based on the same core as Windows 7.
    Or Windows NT 7.0. So Mac reads Win2kr2 as Windows 7, and installs it, no
    big deal. But even after installation, Bootcamp Drivers, and the WIn2kr2
    Features installer from win2008r2toworkstation.com, it becomes clear that
    Win2kr2 is much lighter than Windows 7 due to the latter being much more loaded with features and Windows Client guides, etc. Garbage, that slows down
    any PC. So, to the bottom line: Win2kr2 is lighter, and faster than Windows 7
    in my opinion. Now,to the main idea of this post: The animations. After the
    Win2kr2toworkstation tool works, something still does not budge. The windows
    logo at the bottom left corner. Normally, when you hover the Windows 7
    mouse over it, it lights up and when you move the mouse, it slowly fades away. In Win2kr2, it lights up without any effect and lights down without any effect. So to change this, head over to Computer-Properties or Control Panel-
    All Control Panel Items-System. When there, click "advanced settings" then click on any effects you want, such as minimize effects or the light-up, Fade away of the Windows Logo. Or, select the "Adjust for Best Appearance" Dot to
    automatically select everything there. After that, enjoy your Windows 7 animations.

Greets,

iPhone2G&3Gfan

2. xcodeSyn, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Technically there is no Windows NT 7.0 kernel yet, Windows 7's internal release version is NT 6.1 as indicated here. The Windows marketing brand name and its internal release version have not been consistent after NT 3.51/4.0.

I have used Win Server 2008 R2 and later versions as workstations and generally agree with your comments. These server versions tend to have better security measurements and less bloated compared to their client counterparts. If you have a .edu email account you could get these server versions for free from the Microsoft DreamSpark site, and follow the guide here to convert to a workstation. Otherwise I doubt people would spend several hundred dollars on a Windows server version just to use it as workstation.

3. iphone2g&3gfan thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, Sorry. It's just that I thought of Vista as being NT 6.0 so I guessed Windows NT 7.0 was Win2kr2 and Windows 7. So to anyone reading this post,
    it's not Windows NT 7.0 but rather NT 6.1 as the previous poster mentioned.
    And yes I am multi-booting Mavericks and Win2kr2 on my Mac Mini 2012

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There isn't a Windows Server 2kr2 as there was only ever one release of Windows Server 2000. The correct shorthand for Server 2008 R2 would be Win2k8r2.

5. iphone2g&3gfan thread starter macrumors member

When you get to system specs page, as I said click on advanced system settings and then on the window that appears, click on performance-settings.
    I forgot the performance-settings part in my original post. Sry.

6. iphone2g&3gfan thread starter macrumors member

Yeah without the buggy windows stuff and OEM junk haha! like sony crap or asus well asus i think is good on windows and doesnt bloat it.