Bootcamp Accident: Formated Disk with Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DirkBreeuwer, Nov 24, 2008.

1. DirkBreeuwer macrumors member

I was trying to Install xp, yesterday night on my New MBP alum, I started bootcamp assistant and created a windows partition of 32 gb. Booted with Windows cd, and when windows told me on what disk did I want to install I just saw one disk. (Weird because bootcamp shoud´ve created a partition called Bootcamp), I didn´t pay much attention to it and formatted it. After it booted I saw that my OS X partition was missing!

I inserted my OS X installation dvd, and tried to install OS X. But I have a problem. It wont let me erase the disk! I think I really messed up. What can I do? Why did bootcamp just created one partition?

Help please.

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

When you boot from the OS X DVD you need to run disk utility and FORMAT the disk to HFS+ then you can install os x.

3. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Yes but it wont let me erase the disk... or how do you format it, because I don't see anything that says format here :(

4. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

6. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Yes as you can see in the picture above, it wont let me erase.

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

oh, and this is just a suggestion. next time you want to do a screen shot try Grab. great program for screen shots... Just a suggestion. :D

8. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Mmmm well, I dont know much but can you use it even dough you dont have Mac OSX installed?

9. vultureboy70 macrumors member

Same thing happened to me, my fault. Had to bring my Macbook into Apple store so Genius could re-format my harddrive as GUID (not Apple Partition something). Or you could do the same thing at home if you have another Intel based Mac. Basically you have to start all over, the contents of your hard drive are toast.

Oh, and the process of re-formatting requires the Firewire Target mode, and FW cable.

10. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Damm, there is no Apple Store in my country :(. If i am able to get into another intel mac, how would I format it?

11. AndiG macrumors newbie

1. Insert the Mac OS X CD.
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Immediately after the startup sound, press and hold the "C" key to start up from CD.
    4. When the Installer screen appears, do not click Continue. Instead, choose Installer > Open Disk Utilities.
    5. Select the hard drive to erase.
    6. Click the Erase tab.
    7. Select the volume format from the Volume Format pop-up menu.

From the Apple support page, this is the way you have to do it.

12. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I apologize for my Grab suggestion. I had a stupid moment and didn't think that you were looking at the Disk Utility screen that is loaded up from the disk itself..

Again, my apologies :eek:

13. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

I followed step by step those instructions. I am still unable to click anything for the disk and the partition. All menus and buttons are greyed out. Unclickable.

Dont worry, man.

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Do you have a BestBuy where you are at? They are (I believe) Apple certified to repair. Well Geek Squad inside BestBuy that is

15. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

No bestbuy here in Guatemala :p. I called the only store were they sell apple things, and they told me apple didn't provide guarantee for software problems. Dunno how that works. Gonna go see what they can do. vultureboy70 do you know what they did to your mbp?

16. jdwingnut macrumors regular

ALL of this is correct, BUT, and I do mean but, first...

You have to "partition" the drive in Disk Utility before you can erase it, which effectively is the same as erasing it.

Use the original install disks, go into Disk Utility. SELECT THE DRIVE IN THE LEFT HAND COLUMN, not whatever the name of the volume is.

In the set of tabs, the one next to "Erase" is a tab named "Partition". Select this tab. Select the partition scheme (set it to 1 continuous partition), THEN select the "Options" button just below the partition window.

In here you will see 3 types of partition mapping. Select the GUID mapping format.

When Windows reformatted the drive, it changed this mapping of the drive to "Master Boot Record" which is Windows based. This is where I believe you are have troubles.

17. majorp macrumors 6502

What about the partition tab. I'm 99% sure you don't have to take it to an apple store.

18. jdwingnut macrumors regular

The OP is trying to "Erase" the hard drive. Windows remapped the entire drive using the "Master Boot Record" scheme.

This needs to be changed back to "GUID" (Options button) first in the "Partition" tab, so Leopard can be reinstalled, then the drive can be erased and the OP can start over and do what he would like. I believe this is all an Apple Genius would do.

19. majorp macrumors 6502

Yes, I agree. Like you suggested you need to repartition the entire drive via the partition tab.

Hence..

20. jdwingnut macrumors regular

My apology. I took this as a question at first and see that you meant it to be a statement in agreement.

No worries. Hope this will help the OP out in any case.

21. DYER macrumors 6502

Could the OP use Norton partition magic in xp to create a partition and install it onto therE???
    just an idea???:confused::confused::confused:

22. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

I don't have the Disk Utility open, but I know you can delete and add partitions with it because I've done it. Basically you will want to delete ALL the partitions that are there. Once you've done that you should be back to square one. Then create a single partition to take up the whole disk. Then you will need to format it as was indicated earlier in the thread. Once that is done you should be able to restore OS X.

You create partitions first... then format the space in a particular way. My guess is that either you haven't created a partition yet... so none exist. OR, you have a partition that is there and formatted for windows or something.

23. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I took it to an apple certified support store, I was there for an hour and they tested somethings. They could not do anything from that macbook itself; the erase and the partition tab were completely locked. They told me to leave it there until Wenesday, and it would cost approx 50$.

I also realized something, it is probable that I only saw one partiton after bootcamp because I used a non service pack 2 Windows cd. Could that be the problem?

24. Remilio macrumors newbie

Bootcamp

Today I ran into the same issue.

Created a 15Gb Windows disk in bootcamp.
    after rebooting I only saw one disk of 130Gb (my Mac disk is a 250Gb)
    Apparently I wrong fully assumed bootcamp was also reporting empty space and decided formating was safe (Big Mistake).

Ran into the same issue of not being able to reinstall OS X (no disk)
    Also the disk utility did not help (everything grayed out)

Decided to check the terminal apps and found a tool called "diskutil"

Starting "diskutil" showed a number of command line options one of which was "eraseDisk"

in the end doing a

# diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ untitled disk0

did the trick it removed the windows disk (including al my now garbled data), and allowed me to use the GUI disk utility to repartition my drive.

So much for Bootcamp I guess.
    (still haven't completely figured out what went wrong but also im my case it could have to do with SP2 - not sure if my disk has that)

25. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Heh, glad to hear it worked out for you. Now I know what to do next time.