Bootcamp and an OLD copy of XP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PCtoMAC?, Aug 11, 2009.

1. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

Hello

I just ordered a MBP 13'' and I am pretty sure that I want to use bootcamp rather than running a virtualization(is that what it is called?) to run games the problem is that I have an ancient copy of XP that is pre service pack one. I have read that my copy wont work with bootcamp but that there is a way around this problem. I havn't been about to find out what that is. Could someone let me know what it is or post a link? Is it more complicated than its worth? Any info would be much appreciated.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Install it on a PC, download SP2 or better, install that, follow online directions to slipstream that whole installation onto a disk.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you're going to be gaming, Boot Camp is better than virtualization. While virtualization has gotten much better lately, high end gaming will still need Boot Camp for the extra power.

You'll need Service Pack 2 with Windows XP. If you already have a copy of XP, you can create a slipstream copy of the disc. This merges the Service Pack (which you can download for free from Microsoft) with the disc you already have.

Here are some instructions on how to do it, although yes, it can be complicated.

5. PCtoMAC? thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm doesn't look to bad, Just have to find a PC to do the slipstreaming on....

Thanks for the quick replies!