Bootcamp and Cloning HDD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Barnzee, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Barnzee macrumors regular

If I clone my hard drive using a program such as Superduper or whatever will it also clone the windows partition? if yes can I put that hard drive in a new macbook pro and still use the bootcamp partition or will I have to buy a new copy of windows?

2. Jaygyver macrumors newbie

Umm, where's your _old_ copy of Windows?
    They let you install it more then one time. Just use the old numbers again?

I don't know about the cloning part but I'm pretty sure you would still need the serial number and what not to use the "cloned" disk anyway as Windows would see the new Mac as "new" hardware and would ask for all the installation info again just as if you had reinstalled it on a new computer from scratch.
    It would definitely shorten the install time tho.

Whether or not you just transferred the old HD into the new computer or just cloned it over you would still need to reinstall the serial #'s and such.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

4. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

You do not have to buy a new copy of Windows, if you use winclone in conjuction with a free cloning software. Pretty simple really.

Below is one of many threads concerning that. I have done it several times the only difference is that I save the winclone copy of Windows OS to a desktop folder, and then make a clone of the entire old my drive (which has the winclone folder of my windows os, as well).

I have had great success using SuperDuper as the cloning software.

Actually it is pretty simple, and I have done it that way with XP and later with W7 twice, and have not run into any issues with Microsoft (no reactivation....and my windows updates are current).

Hope this answers your questions.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=471301

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

NOTE: Winclone is designed to backup and restore to the same underlying hardware.

The approach DonCarlos linked to works wonderfully when you are just replacing the HDD in the same machine or even moving it to a replacement that has the same hardware. e.g. 2008 MBP to 2008 MBP.

Since Windows customizes the drivers it uses to the machine it is installed on, you need to be careful about this if you go to incompatible hardware. e.g. from a 2008 MBP to a 2011 MBP, you may get bluescreens or failure to activate.

You might be able to work around this with SYSPREP, but you'd have to develop a plan of attack on your own.

B

6. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah winclone works great, if you are just upgrading your hard drive in your machine. It's really easy and way faster than reinstalling.