Bootcamp and Developer (MSDN) Windows Installation

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by carlclarke, Jun 28, 2010.

1. carlclarke macrumors newbie

Hi

I have read the requirements from :apple: saying that 'authentic' retail XP/Vista/Win7 media is required, googled around for any extra information, etc. I am reading here that OEM copies seem to install. I tried with bootable/installable images of XP & Vista that I downloaded from my M$ Developer subscription and when Bootcamp tried to perform the install the screen just cycled through :apple:, '?' and folder icons until I powered off the MPB.

Obviously I really dont want to go and buy a retail copy when I have licensed developer copies available.

Have I missed a trick or is it just impossible with anything other than retail install media?

Thanks

Carl.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Before my retail versions arrived I installed from TechNet. No problem. Should be the same images on MSDN.

Use Boot Camp Assistant to partition drive. Download ISO. Burn to DVD. Reboot holding Alt/Option. Install. Reboot. Voila.

What exact process did you follow?

B

3. carlclarke thread starter macrumors newbie

Your reply give me some hope

I followed the process that you described but...

The MBP is a bit non-standard is as much as it has two internal harddisks (using MCE Optibay) and I am therefore trying to install from a (now external) superdrive - I cant think of anything obviously wrong with that and it certainly reads the DVD drive when I select the harddisk with the bootcamp partition at boot.

If you can install from Technet images that you burn yourself then it gives me enough hope to persevere. I will try it on a completely standard MBP to try and emilinate the Optibay modification.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Carl.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That was the missing piece of information! Many folks have trouble installing from an external ODD, and apparently installing from USB (e.g. thumb drive) doesn't work either, so your options are limited.

You could install to a stock MBP and try to use Winclone to move it to the optibay MBP.

B