bootcamp and external HDD question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mayoko185, Aug 17, 2007.

1. mayoko185 macrumors member

On my MBP I wanna install windows xp to play games (and maybe vista when im able to afford it :rolleyes:). I have a external 500GB firewire drive that I have currently all formatted to hfs+ and I have about 200GB of it used. I dont think I can use disk utilities app to re partition some of the free space to use for windows without erasing the whole drive (not a option! lol).

So my question is there a way to make windows read/write to a hfs+ volume? Because what I want to do is have my bootcamp partition like the min 5GB and install all my windows apps/files on the external (as ill only be going into it for games after all not my main OS).

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

You're going to have to partition the HD you plan on installing Boot Camp on. I'm not sure about externals, but on my HD when I partitioned it for Boot Camp it didn't erase anything. Also, for games XP is pretty much the way to go for now. Don't worry about Vista.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

vista dont let you install on external drives. it has to be an internal formatted as NTFS. boy do they like to have control.

4. mayoko185 thread starter macrumors member

lemme clarify, Im going to install winxp on my internal disk (id install vista but I dont own a copy). What I want to know is there a way to make windows read+write to my external drive that is formatted to hfs+. I did a few google searchs and all I could find was a driver for ext2 for windows not hfs...

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup macdrive.

there is also a free program, i cant remember the name tho!!! its in a thread here somehwere tho