Bootcamp and fan speed with smcfancontrol

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jean01, Dec 15, 2011.

1. jean01 macrumors newbie

Hi !

I recently installed bootcamp on my imac 2011, and i'm playing to play some games on it.
    My question is about smcfancontrol, i would like to know what settings i should set for the fan speed to keep my imac cooler

does 2000 rpm will be enough or i need more?

Thanks for your help

2. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Your computer will control the fan speed. Don't worry about it.

3. jean01 thread starter macrumors newbie

are you sure, because iplayed today and my fan speed didn't change a bit, still stayed at the default settings

4. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

If your computer gets too hot, it will simply shut off before any damage occurs.

5. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

lol - sort of like driving a car and saying "don't worry, the car will deploy an airbag if you hit a telephone poll"

6. jean01 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, that's why i'm using smcfancontrol lol
    Anyway, anyone has some advice for the fan's rpm ?:rolleyes:

7. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

So it's shutting off?

8. MJL macrumors 6502a

smcfancontrol only works when using OS X , it does nothing when running windows (except if you are using Parallels or VMware).

Windows is pretty late with switching on the fan. Besides Windows runs idle hotter than OS X.

Use MacFan0_65 to set manually a minimum speed.

Go to Control Panel - power options and set the minimum processor speed to either 2 or 3% - at that level it is at idle running at approx the same temprature as OS X.

Trubo mode really exagerates heat generation - you may not need it. You can turn it off by setting maximum processor speed to 99%.

If you are worried about overheating then switch the cooling state to passive rather than active (active relies on fan, passive throttles the CPU before using the fan)