Bootcamp and HDD replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thale, Apr 12, 2012.

1. thale macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm in the process of upgrading the hard drive in my mid-2010 MBP, from 250GB to 750GB. I had previously done boot camp, and was running Win7 ultimate perfectly. I cloned the drive using a linux tool (dd command on SysRescCD) and swapped them. When I came to boot from the new disk however, I found that the bootloader couldn't see the windows partition. I ran disk utility from the apple install CD, both partitions seemed fine. I then restarted from there, and was presented with the option to boot from the windows partition, which I selected. On rebooting, after the chime I got a black screen with "No Bootable Device" or some such text displayed. I can boot into OSX Lion just fine.

Any ideas as to how t oget windows back? I don't really want to have to reinstall from scratch.

Thanks.

2. SaggyBagz, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

SaggyBagz macrumors newbie

Hi, try booting from the Windows install disk so you can get to the command prompt in recovery console.

Try using this command: bootrec /fixboot ( or /fixmbr if /fixboot doesn't do it)

You don't have to worry about modifying the mbr of the HDD because Mac EFI doesn't natively use this to boot from.