Bootcamp and Installing Operating Systems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheDoorsi, Jan 21, 2009.

1. TheDoorsi macrumors newbie

So I just joined the Information Systems department at my school and they have a deal with the Microsoft Website where they give out copies of windows software and serial #s. I happen to need some form of windows (Xp or Vista or what have you) to run some programs for my classes and I have some questions on how to install the OS.

So i downloaded XP as an ISO and burned it onto a disk. I'm in the process of downloading Vista which doesn't come as an ISO, but i think just one big 2.5gb install file (I presume an EXE) and hope to use that instead. I just bought leopard and am going to install it so I can get bootcamp to install the OS but,

1.Will my copy of XP install on leopard?

2.Will i be able to run the Vista installer on leopard?

3. Can I install XP, then install Vista, then erase XP?

3. Do i need leopard or can I just stick with 10.4?

5. How would I install these two assuming I have them both on DVDs?

Any help would be very, very much appreciated, I'm getting such a headache trying to figure this out.

BTW, I'm sure I didn't download it wrong. Vista downloads as an installer for windows computers. This website isn't really for macs.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you're using Tiger, crank the date back before 12/31/2007.

If it's an EXE, you did it wrong. It has to be an ISO.

3. Trip.Tucker Guest

It's not uncommon for Microsoft to create an exe which self extracts to an iso or mdf with their trial copies of OS's.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Probably the best way to get a good starting handle on the process of installing and using Boot Camp on your Mac can first be addressed by checking out Apple's BootCamp Support page which has a very good downloadable guide to installation (hint: use it! ;)) as well as some good FAQs that should go a long way toward answering a lot of your questions.