Bootcamp and OSX at the same time?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 2807, Apr 9, 2011.

1. 2807 macrumors member

Hi.

Can I "dual boot" and have bootcamp-Windows on one screen and OSX on another? Or when using Bootcamp do I HAVE to choose one or the other?

It would be awesome to have the power/stability/support of bootcamp and have OSX running at the same time.... and just use "spaces" to toggle around.

Also, is Windows 7 the preferred OS to use now? I have been using XP for a long time and am ready to upgrade, but have no idea what to get.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No Bootcamp doesn't work like that; it's either OS X or Windows. If you want to run both, you need to use a virtual machine such as VMWare Fusion or Parallels. Windows 7 is the OS of choice between XP and 7. Probably the Home version of 7 would be all you need.

3. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

yes.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. 2807 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks.

So: I do believe I can have both Bootcamp and Fusion.. Do they both access the same "Windows" install where I can see my files and stuff? Or is at two separate installs of Windows each only accessible solo?

I hope I can "see" the same Windows 7 via either one. I can use Fusion for quick access and Bootcamp for heavy lifting?

If so, what is the protocol for install?

Thanks

6. Tonepoet macrumors regular

Yeah, bootcamp's designed to only boot in one or the other. That's why Bootcamp is better at gaming than virtualization software. Windows doesn't have to share resources with OSX.

That being said, you can run virtualization software to run both at the same time. If you're stuck on a budget, Virtualbox is a free, smallish download. I don't have a copy Windows to try it myself yet but I believe with some work, you can get VirtualBox working with a Bootcamp partition so you can switch between the two methods, pendent on whether you need performance or multi-os functionality. Hope it helps.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. More info here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1014618

Install Boot Camp normally first then follow the additional steps in the guide.

There was someone who managed to do the opposite. Launching their native OS X install in Virtualbox while booted to Windows, but that is a hackintosh-style operation.

B

8. seysearles macrumors newbie

You can't do it but its a really good idea.