Bootcamp and parallels worries

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AngelFir3, Oct 26, 2010.

1. AngelFir3 macrumors member

AngelFir3

Can anyone help me... I worried about getting windows 7, I have been reading the forums, and I keep seeing that if I run windows through boot camp to use the full power (for games) I need one licence of windows. But then if I want to run parallels with windows I will need two licences of windows? Is this true.

I'm also confused if I can do that .... Use boot camp for windows games, but then use parallels for documents and low spec items. Please help, I'm getting my new iMac very soon and I'm very worried

Thank you for you time and help

2. Barnzee macrumors regular

You should be able to with a retail version of windows, however it might take a phone call over to microsoft.

3. AngelFir3 thread starter macrumors member

AngelFir3

I don't supose you know the number?

Can you use parallels to play music etc? And then use Bootcamp to play games?

4. George Knighton macrumors 65816

George Knighton

Well. Yes. I suppose that technically you're only on ONE machine, even though there's a virtual machine on that one machine.

:)

5. George Knighton macrumors 65816

George Knighton

When you try to activate Windows, you will get a toll free number based on your location.

It's an automated service. You'll be asked on how many machines you've used the Windows CD you're trying to use on the virtual machine.

Yes, provided that you do not create the Parallels virtual machine off of the Bootcamp installation. If you do that, it'll work for a while but you'll eventually lose activation on both the Bootcamp and Parallels versions as you make changes.

I still cannot figure out exactly why this happens, but it does.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's the nature of activation.

In a shared Boot Camp/VM install the VM software makes the VM an alternate hardware configuration of the same machine (like a docked laptop). If you create a new VM from the real Boot Camp install that doesn't work since there is no alternative hardware configuration for it.

B