Bootcamp and partitioning and VMWare

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sharjohn, Jun 6, 2011.

1. sharjohn macrumors newbie

My set up: iMac (OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard) with ssd used only for mac and a second drive which is 2.0 TB that I use for Windows 7. When I used bootcamp to partition the 2 TB hd, and then added vmware fusion, all is well. I decided to try to add three partitons to the windows hd using program other than bootcamp. Windows was reinstalled and worked fine. Added Fusion and it would not run. I was told by vmware tech it won't run because I did not use bootcamp to partiton. My problem is that I do not want to give Windows the entire 2.0 TB, it is not necessary. I want to add a couple partitions for storage of music, etc. Right now, mac is running well, Windows 7 is running well but fusion is dead. I can still boot to either os.

Anyone know how to get around this? I just want to have three partitions on the 2 TB drive that is used only for windows 7. I do not want to touch my mac installation. I would like to again use fusion.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

VMWare only supports single drive installs partitiones with Boot Camp (i.e. one HFS+ partition, one NTFS partition (plus the hidden system partition).

To do anything else you will have to manually make your own VMDK for the raw disk and you definitely run the risk of having it break. Google "VMWare raw physical disk" and you may find some of the info you need. You will need to know about partitions and are on your own since it is not a supported configuration.

B

3. sharjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Bootcamp and partitioning

Thanks Balamw. I hope vmware will create a fix for this issue sometime in the future.