Bootcamp and partitioning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PurpleShaman, Jul 16, 2010.

1. PurpleShaman macrumors member

im planning on a getting my MPB (15'') very soon, and having been a windows user all along, I have a couple of questions about putting windows on my new MPB.

-Win7 upgrade: I currently own a valid copy of XP and a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade disc. Is it possible to install the XP, then upgrade to Win7 on my MBP? If so, are there any guides/tricks I should know of before attempting?

-timing: Can I install the windows after I've played around in OS X and installed/saved a couple of things there? Will installing windows wipe out my stuff in OS X or is it completely unrelated? My concern here is that I will be getting my MPB before I can get my copy of windows back, and during that time I need to do some work.

-partitioning amount: this kind of ties into the previous question. How much should I partition (% wise) for the windows, and when should I do it?

thanks guys

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can use the Windows 7 upgrade disk right away

Clean install with Windows 7 upgrade disk *TUTORIAL*

Installing Windows won't erase any data from OS X partition so you can do it at any time you want

Depends on how much space you need in Windows. 50GB should be enough and you can always extend the Boot Camp partition

3. PurpleShaman thread starter macrumors member

hey man, thanks for the link. I had a look thru the two tutorials, and Im still a bit confused (haha). when it says boot your computer from the DVD, is that just straight from my upgrade disc? In a mac, how do you set it to boot from the disc? After that works, is it just follow the installation instructions? will it detect that there wasnt a prev. version installed or smth? thanks.

4. elleana macrumors regular

Hold option key when you power up/restart. It should show you boot options.