Bootcamp and partitions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spinlud, Oct 10, 2014.

1. spinlud macrumors newbie

Hi, i am planning to install bootcamp on my mbp. I have some doubts about partitions...is it possible to split harddisk in 3 partitions: one for the osx operative system, one for the data files (osx), one for the bootcamp partition (where i want to install windows 7)?

thanks in advance for any info

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

OS X doesn't like being partitioned that much. So what are you going to be using Windows for?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That won't work without some sorcery! As I understand it the problem is if you make more than the normal one partition in OS X, Bootcamp won't work to make the Windows partition. The work around I have seen is to have the one OS X partition only, then make the Bootcamp partition, then after that add the other OS X partition you want.

On a default Mac you have a hidden EFI partition, a hidden recovery partition, and the OS partition.... so three to start with. Bootcamp wants to be the fourth partition and if it can't be it won't work. If you search around you can find walkthroughs to install Bootcamp first on that fourth partition then add your extra (fifth) partition later.

All that said, why do you want a separate data partition anyway? It is normally not necessary.

4. spinlud thread starter macrumors newbie

windows for gaming and other stuff. So with bootcamp is possible to use only 2 partitions, one for osx and one for bootcamp?

5. spinlud thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the infos! Coming from windows it is a normal thing for me to have all the data on a secondary partition, so if for any reason i have to reinstall the system i won't loose any of my data.
    So fist i have to install osx, then make a partition for bootcamp and install it. Then another partition for osx data...should this work or it is a waste of time?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes exactly. That is the preferred method and you can avoid the partition issue workaround I mentioned.

----------

Yes... that is the process. Search around for a step by step. As I recall the process was to make the Bootcamp partition but not install Windows yet... then add you other data partition.

But IMO it is not necessary. OS X keeps all user data in your personal /Users/username folder and is very easy to segment and backup if that is your concern. I would not bother with a data partition.

7. spinlud thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you very much for the help!:cool: