Bootcamp and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bueller1, Jan 15, 2016.

1. bueller1 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to install Windows 10 with bootcamp assistant. and I get to the point where I need to hit next on the Windows 10 installation but my trackpad or keyboard does not work. It took like 2 hours to download windows support files so I'm not sure why or how to go about fixing the non working trackpad? Thanks in advance

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

It's easy :) to get over the next two selections on the installation remove the thumb drive plug in a standard usb mouse do the 2 selections and quickly plug back in the usb/thumb drive the rest will be ok and KB/TP will be recognised and the installation will continue

3. bueller1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet, thanks. Now my multi touch doesn't work so I cant scroll, and neither is audio lol. Any suggestions?

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Have you run the bootcamp files you DL from Apple ?

This will enable all the keys, WiFi ,audio etc etc as you need the drivers supplied by apple in bootcamp setup

If its just specific ones you can find them in the bootcamp directory on your thumb drive and run them again individually or all of them again :)

5. bueller1 thread starter macrumors 6502

It gets hung up on Realtek Audio.

6. SteveJUAE, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I assume this is when you run all ? and it hangs

You could go in to device manager and look at the settings there I suspect you will see a yellow warning on one or more

You can click on the audio one and roll back the driver or delete it and reinstall as below

You can even try running from the thumb drive again but right click on it 1st and run as administrator

D:\BootCamp\Drivers\RealTek\RealtekSetup.exe

D:\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple\AppleMultiTouchTrackPadInstaller64.exe

7. bueller1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks. Tried all of that, one by one and even two more times with the boot camp installer. Gave up after that. Got to a point where file explorer would crash instantly.

8. lite426 macrumors regular

I had exactly the same issue, Bueller. The only solution I found was to torrent a pirated version of Windows 10 and install with that. I didn't want to do this - I had intended to actually pay for it, but nothing else worked. That had its own issue of during the install, being unable to select next. Disconnecting the USB disk wouldn't let me continue. Honestly I'm not even sure how I solved it - had to do some crazy random keyboard button mashing.

9. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Very odd as you got past the little tricky bit where sometimes it wont install the TP/KB to allow the installation to continue and now your just stuck installing the Apple supplied Bootcamp drivers which should be the easy part as Win10 is installed

Is your Win10 activated ?
    Have you run all the updates ?
    Did you DL the correct/latest bootcamp drivers for your rMB ?
    Stick the USB drive in again and boot from it and run windows install or repair (should be a lot easier this time)
    Re-run the Bootcamp drivers again

10. bueller1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried both an enterprise evaluation copy and a pirated version. I got frustrated and impatient after a few hours and gave up. I really just wanted to play around with it I have no real work use or anything like that so its not a big deal. Appreciate your help

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If you just want to mess around with it, try installing with Virtualbox.