Bootcamp and XP SP3

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Enigmafan420, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Has anyone been able to UPDATE from SP2 to SP3 using Windows update and bootcamp?

I have successfully slipstreamed SP 3 and used it with a clean bootcamp install, but every time I have tried to upgrade with Windows update, it trashes the bootcamp partition.

This is important because I have 3 minis in the house with existing bootcamp partitions that I really DO NOT WANT to remove and reinstall.

Thanks for any help!

2. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I just installed WinXP w/FAT32 in a 32gb partition; I updated Windows w/o updating to SP3 because I wasn't sure if Bootcamp can currently handle it.

The Leopard docs concerning Bootcamp don't say anything about SP3 yet, so I imagine that SP2 is the only way to go for now. :(

3. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Well-I DID get SP3 installed, using a slip-streamed copy of XP with SP-3. I installed it in my new MB and it works FINE.

That being said, I have three other Mac minis with SP2 installed. I have tried to use Windows update to get SP3 on one of them and it trashed the XP install. I reinstalled SP2 and tried again, and it trashed it again.

So I guess I am stuck with SP2 or doing a complete reinstall with SP3. Think I will stick with SP2...