Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyc2pdx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Portland, Oregon
I posted this in the yosemite forum, but no response.

I have two partitions on my 2012 iMac (fusion drive). First partition is Mavericks, second is Bootcamp running Win 7.

If I do an upgrade (not a clean install) from mavericks to yosemite DP, will I have any issues? I've heard some issues with bootcamp not being bootable after upgrade to yosemite-but I think this has been when a third partition was made (mavericks, yosemite, bootcamp). I would be staying with just two partitions after the upgrade: yosemite and bootcamp.

Feedback?

Thanks!

SLSettles

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Not sure this is the reason, but I cannot boot into Boot Camp after installing Yosemite. It loads fine using VMware, and that is how I usually use it. There have been other changes to my machine in the 6-7 months since I tried to boot in BC, so I can't say for certain it is because of Y.

nyc2pdx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Not sure this is the reason, but I cannot boot into Boot Camp after installing Yosemite. It loads fine using VMware, and that is how I usually use it. There have been other changes to my machine in the 6-7 months since I tried to boot in BC, so I can't say for certain it is because of Y.

how many partitions do you have? I understand that if you have more than two partitions, bootcamp freaks.

This is why I am thinking of doing an upgrade rather than clean install on a new partition.

Last edited:

SLSettles

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
My old drive (in the optical bay) has two partitions: Mavericks and Bootcamp. My SSD, in the normal HD bay, has one partition: Yosemite.

caralosdbernard

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
Panama City Panama
Ah okay. From my research, it seems that something in the MBR won't allow more than 2 partitions in bootcamp.

I do have the same issue. I got a caddy on my MBP and it is partition so i can run my itunes. On the boot camp :apple:, it see the 2 hd and the one on the caddy on 1 icon said itunes and win, but at the moment of the installation, i have to erase that hdd. not cool. So no windows for me. I do not want to make another payment for the parallels overtime that OS X brings another new OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.