Bootcamp and Yosemite

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nyc2pdx, Sep 23, 2014.

1. nyc2pdx macrumors 6502

I posted this in the yosemite forum, but no response.

I have two partitions on my 2012 iMac (fusion drive). First partition is Mavericks, second is Bootcamp running Win 7.

If I do an upgrade (not a clean install) from mavericks to yosemite DP, will I have any issues? I've heard some issues with bootcamp not being bootable after upgrade to yosemite-but I think this has been when a third partition was made (mavericks, yosemite, bootcamp). I would be staying with just two partitions after the upgrade: yosemite and bootcamp.

Feedback?

Thanks!

2. SLSettles macrumors newbie

Not sure this is the reason, but I cannot boot into Boot Camp after installing Yosemite. It loads fine using VMware, and that is how I usually use it. There have been other changes to my machine in the 6-7 months since I tried to boot in BC, so I can't say for certain it is because of Y.

3. nyc2pdx, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

nyc2pdx thread starter macrumors 6502

how many partitions do you have? I understand that if you have more than two partitions, bootcamp freaks.

This is why I am thinking of doing an upgrade rather than clean install on a new partition.

4. SLSettles macrumors newbie

My old drive (in the optical bay) has two partitions: Mavericks and Bootcamp. My SSD, in the normal HD bay, has one partition: Yosemite.

5. nyc2pdx thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah okay. From my research, it seems that something in the MBR won't allow more than 2 partitions in bootcamp.

6. caralosdbernard macrumors newbie

caralosdbernard

I do have the same issue. I got a caddy on my MBP and it is partition so i can run my itunes. On the boot camp :apple:, it see the 2 hd and the one on the caddy on 1 icon said itunes and win, but at the moment of the installation, i have to erase that hdd. not cool. So no windows for me. I do not want to make another payment for the parallels overtime that OS X brings another new OS.