Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
So, what is the consensus? I haven't really seen any discussions around this. I finally got around to installing bootcamp today and I am really only interested in gaming performance. Should I keep the Apple drivers or install AMD drivers?

Barendby

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
South Africa
So, what is the consensus? I haven't really seen any discussions around this. I finally got around to installing bootcamp today and I am really only interested in gaming performance. Should I keep the Apple drivers or install AMD drivers?

Good question...i also would like to know what others find.
I don't play games, cant comment. I do work in 3 ds max. I tried a scene with the aplle drivers and got 100 fps....after installing amd's radeon drivers i got 3 fps...obviously i went back to the aplle drivers. I did not do any other tests

chrisn123

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2011
Well, for now, you need to overwrite the Apple-approved drivers with the AMD beta drivers to use Mantle and address glitches with newer games. All working great with the release candidate beta. Hopefully an Apple-blessed Mantle driver will be release shortly after the final AMD version.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
Well, for now, you need to overwrite the Apple-approved drivers with the AMD beta drivers to use Mantle and address glitches with newer games. All working great with the release candidate beta. Hopefully an Apple-blessed Mantle driver will be release shortly after the final AMD version.

Any comments on performance?

mobiousblack

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Performance is great on the latest amd drivers. BF4 runs anywhere from 80-140fps on ultra no aa at 2560 1440. Running dual d700s

Barendby

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
South Africa
Thanks, mate. I'll install the latest AMD drivers tonight.

SO...did you load the latest AMD drivers? Any better than Apple drivers?
What set of drivers do you use if downloading from AMD?

My screen is freezing more and more, I would like to try something else

araey

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto, Ontario.
I would also love to know which is better - bootcamp drivers or from AMD website. Also if AMD website is better can you please provide a link to the correct drivers to download?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.