Bootcamp as well as VMWare Fusion.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dal123, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I've installed VMWare fusion on my mac. When running on the mac it saps a lot of speed.
    So I was thinking of installing Bootcamp as well. I hear a lot about parallels, but I would've thought vmware fusion is a parallel as it is running alongside it; no doubt I am wrong here :eek:.
    So is it possible to get vmware fusion to fire up on it's own from the beginning or must I purchase bootcamp. Can both applications be installed on the same machine?

2. wpotere Guest

First, Fusion and Parallels are both what they call virtual machines. In other words, windows is running on your computer from files that the program (Fusion) trick windows into thinking it is a real computer. Because you are sharing it with your native OS, it eats resources.

Bootcamp is not a virtual solution. Bootcamp sets up a partition so that you can dual boot the computer to the OS of your choice.

Lastly, there is nothing to purchase with bootcamp, it is part of the OS. The only cost is the money needed to buy a copy of Windows to install.

3. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Wait a minute; bootcamp is free? I already have windows. So I can install both and just hold down the option key when starting up.

How do I allocate my partitions? I imagine from installing bootcamp.

4. wpotere Guest

Yes, it is free and part of your OS>

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf

5. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks. It'll be a lot quicker booting from start up.:)

6. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

All done from using the bootcamp assistant ... think someone else gave you a link to the apple documentation ( pretty sparse but ok ) for it.

Lots of people with youtube videos demonstrating setting it up and running it etc. Minor changes with each new version of bootcamp but essentially it looks like this:

1) run bootcamp assistant to create windows drivers for your system

2) create a bootable usb device ( just needed on some systems ) for windows installer

3) run bootcamp assistant to partition your system

*** don't underestimate how much space you need for the windows side!

4) run bootcamp assistant that kicks you into the windows installer

5) install windows ... make sure you go into advanced options and reformat partition as ntfs and that you POINT to bootcamp partition

6) run windows driver updates from step 1

STEP ZERO should be do some kind of comprehensive backup in case you mess up along the way somewhere.