Bootcamp Assistant problem: repartitioning

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gamera~, May 19, 2008.

1. gamera~ macrumors member

Hi all —

I'm trying to install Windows XP on my MBP, but when I repartition the drive in Boot Camp Assistant things go wrong. The first time, I got a kernel panic, and the second time it just froze.

In both cases after I restarted, there was no second partition, but the free space on my Mac partition had been reduced as if BCA had made one. I have to run fsck to fix it.

Any ideas?

thanks,
    Michael

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Have you ever used Console to view your system's logs before? If not, now would be a good time to do so - look for the kernel panic log, and see if anything in there reveals what might have caused the panic.

I suspect a hardware problem, like a failing hard drive, as the cause... but I can't be sure without looking through your log.

Oh, and if you decide to post the log's contents in this thread, please wrap it inside CODE tags, like so:

Code:
    log text
    more log text

3. gamera~ thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I just found a solution on these forums: boot up with the leopard cd. Use Disk Utility to repartition, making a second partition the size needed for windows. Once it's done, delete the second partition, and resize the first to its original size. Then boot back up into OS X and use Boot Camp Assistant to do the repartitioning... works! I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I'm guessing my drive was heavily fragmented to begin with.

link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=454257&highlight=partition+boot+camp+kernel

4. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

I was just about to post that as a solution. I did this on Saturday and it does work.