Bootcamp Backup - Cloning - Image Questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MacAndMic, Sep 17, 2010.

1. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I would like to "Back-up", "Clone" or create an "Image" or whatever else people call it of my bootcamp installation.

I know I can create an "Image" of bootcamp via disk utility but how would I restore it?

Would I first delete the bootcamp partition and then re-create a bootcamp partition and then restore? Or would I just restore? Will the end result be what I am expecting, i.e., my Win 7 install right back to the perfect state of when I created the image?

Right now, let's say my Windows 7 install got smoked one day for whatever reason (it is windows...) and I needed to re-install. Me personally, I would just go into Bootcamp Assistant, delete the Windows partition then create a new one and then get installing. Unfortunately installing and updating takes hours and that is what I am trying to avoid.

Thanks for any and all help.

troutspinner

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I use Winclone for this purpose. It's discontinued, but still works wonders. Give it a try!