bootcamp battery life on the new mbp 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

What kind of battery life have you guys been getting with this in bootcamp? I'm considering buying a base level macbook pro 15" and using a couple pc-only programs in class. Then, when I get home, I'd boot into osx and do everything there. I know they say these computers get like 9 hours of battery life in osx, but how do they do in windows? The programs I need to use aren't all that cpu intensive I think, probably equivalent to light web browsing in cpu overhead.

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Crazy to me that you are a 65816 and don't know the universal answer to this question. Battery life is horrible on bootcamp, always has been and probably will be for some time. Expect to get half your battery life at most. Probably 1/4 when running a bunch of really intensive programs.

3. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

lol I know that it's a bit of a drop off, but i'd like to verify with some real numbers from people that have used bootcamp with the current revision. If it's even 3.5 hours or so with light web browsing and low brightness, that might just be enough for me to get by.

4. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

5. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

From what I've seen and heard, four hours is common. This is actually pretty good when you consider that switchable graphics aren't enabled in Windows 7.

6. man02195 macrumors regular

I run parallels, and it's about 60% of the battery life in OSX. I have the previous generation, but the % should roughly about the same. I started up about 15 minutes ago, and it says 2:43 remaining.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

With the original unibody MacBook Pro, you would be lucky to get around 2 hours. With the newer MacBook Pro's I'd say 4 hours and that's pretty damn good considering the competition run about the same or even less. Anybody saying 4 hours is horrible through BootCamp is wishing for way too much.

8. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

Yeah, most comparable laptops that lack switchable graphics get around 4 hours as well.