Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kat King123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Alright, so i wanted to install windows 7 through boot camp made a 20gb partition just to mess around. it gave the infamous cant partition your hard drive error so i defraged using tech tool pro 5 then boot camp said i should update my software through software update funny thing is im update to on everything. So i figured ill reboot might fix this error but then i got stuck on the boot screen luckily i got my macbook to boot from the install dvd and also i just bought an external drive about 2 weeks ago and did a full back up with time machine and was able to restore the entire system so ill say it again

TIME MACHINE FTW

Remember back up before you attempt anything with bootcamp

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Remember back up before you attempt anything with bootcamp

Agreed!

I am always astonished that folks attempt this randomly without any backup at all and then are panic stricken when they eff things up!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Alright, so i wanted to install windows 7 through boot camp made a 20gb partition just to mess around. it gave the infamous cant partition your hard drive error so i defraged using tech tool pro 5 then boot camp said i should update my software through software update funny thing is im update to on everything. So i figured ill reboot might fix this error but then i got stuck on the boot screen luckily i got my macbook to boot from the install dvd and also i just bought an external drive about 2 weeks ago and did a full back up with time machine and was able to restore the entire system so ill say it again

Boot Camp told you to "update your software"? And TechTool 5 is somehow not at fault but Boot Camp is? Your story doesn't add up. Backing up is always a good idea, but still, get your story straight.

Kat King123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Boot Camp told you to "update your software"? And TechTool 5 is somehow not at fault but Boot Camp is? Your story doesn't add up. Backing up is always a good idea, but still, get your story straight.

so you get it, Ill say it again I couldn't partition my hard drive with boot camp assistant. Then I used tech tool pro 5 to defragment it. after I did this when I clicked the start button on boot camp assistant it said "please check that your software is update" (something along those lines). I rebooted hoping to fix the problem,but I got stuck on the boot screen.I didn't blame anything on any program but i would assume tech tool had something to with it. just a lil tip it might be better to just restore from backup if you cant partition then actually defragment

questmcoupe

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Dallas, TX
I have to say, as a backup tool, I like Carbon Clone Copier a lot better than Time Machine. The cool thing about CCC is that when you want to clone your hard drive again or update your clone per say, it'll only update the files that have been changed or updated. Time Machine backs up your entire drive over and over again, then you run out of spacer a lot sooner than expected.

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
I have to say, as a backup tool, I like Carbon Clone Copier a lot better than Time Machine. The cool thing about CCC is that when you want to clone your hard drive again or update your clone per say, it'll only update the files that have been changed or updated. Time Machine backs up your entire drive over and over again, then you run out of spacer a lot sooner than expected.

I would have to look it up to be sure, but I remember reading reviews of Time Machine before/just as Leopard was released and I don't believe this to be the case. It should be performing file based incremental backups (any file/folder that has changed or is new since the last backup will get copied in its entirety).

It is true that when you are in Time Machine looking at your backups you can see your entire hard drive the way it looked for each backup instance. This is due to the way Time Machine presents the backup to you (symbolic links, I think it's called), but I am about 99% sure it does not do a full backup every time.

If you use Entourage for e-mail of have virtual machines, it is true that this can cause backups to get very large quickly (Entourage stores all data in a single file, and VMs are commonly a single file, so a new e-mail or booting a VM will prompt a full backup of your 3GB Entourage data or your 20GB VM). Time Machine does allow exceptions, which I would think would be advisable for any very large files that are modified often.

Time Machine is certainly not perfect, but it is a great leap forward in encouraging and enabling the average end user to have a data backup that is very easy to recover in the case of a catastrophic hardware failure of the user's computer.
And just this week Time Machine made upgrading to a new hard drive extremely easy. I'm a support professional, but if I can just plug in my external and my backup works 97% of the way I want it, I ain't gonna fight it. Happy to use it.

Cheers.

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Jegbook is correct. Easily provable by clicking the TM menu option showing the amount of data being copied.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan

I like Carbon Copy Cloner a lot as well but I switched to Super Duper because it handles retaining Spotlight settings better. I have Spotlight set to not index my external HD and CCC would remove it from the privacy list every incremental backup. Super Duper is not donationware like CCC though.

For me, CCC and Super Duper serve a different purpose than Time Machine. I actually do both. On my 1.5TB external HD I made a 250GB partition to match the internal HD on my iMac and do a complete clone backup incrementally every few days using Super Duper. On the remaining 1.25TB I let Time Machine back up the system with the exception of some folders with large media files. Time Machine is great for going back and retrieving files you accidentally deleted a while ago or accessing e-mail messages that were trashed but for a full system backup you can't beat CCC or Super Duper.

The other single unbeatable advantage CCC and Super Duper have over Time Machine is you can BOOT to them. Thus, if your internal HD crashes and you have to send it to Apple for replacement you just boot to the external when it gets back and restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.