Bootcamp -- Blackscreen? Freeze?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by UltimateDork, Feb 28, 2010.

1. UltimateDork macrumors newbie

I've just replaced the video card on my 24" Intel iMac from a NVIDIA 7600 GT (256MB) to a NVIDIA 7600 GT (128MB). The shop that ordered and replaced the video card for me said that the 256MB was on a 3 month back order and was leaning towards discontinue. So the 128MB card was all I could get as a replacement. Also upgraded from 2GB ram to 3GB.

After repairs I attempted to install Windows XP SP2 retail using Bootcamp from MAC OS X 10.6.2. I was able to create the partition "Bootcamp" followed instructions and proceeded to insert the Windows XP SP2 retail CD as prompted. Bootcamp did its usual restarting phase but then it just gets stuck and all I get is a black screen. I can hear the computer reading the CD and doing its normal windows set up procedures but I'm unable to see anything on my screen.

After a long waiting period of about 30 minutes I just reboot the machine and hold down the Option key to boot back to Mac OS X. I does show me that I have Windows XP as an option to boot to. I have choose it and it leads me back to the black screen.

I have installed and ran Windows XP using Bootcamp many times in the past, and have never had this issue as well. I've read many threads here and on other forums, but couldn't find the answer.

If any of you know the remedy to this specific situation please help me out. If you need anymore information please ask as well.

2. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

It sounds like an issue with the GPU driver that Windows is loading. Windows tries to load a "default driver" before you install those provided by bootcamp, windows update, mac update, or otherwise. With some macs (including my 27" i5), this causes the blackout issue and windows never loads. I'm in the process of trying to fix this, (not at home yet, so we'll see if it works in a few hours) but I came across this article that explains the issue, and may provide a workaround:

http://www.nedvedtech.com/post/2009...-past-the-blank-screen)-on-a-new-27-iMac.aspx

3. UltimateDork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You so much on the reply!

Were you able to remedy the issue? If so, what was the procedure that you used to solve the problem?

Sorry for the late reply as well, I had given up hope since I was checking my thread everyday and not seeing a single reply.

Again if anyone else knows or has an idea how to fix this please don't be shy and share some info.

Thank you!

4. ImpostorOak macrumors member

ImpostorOak

Wow, that's awesome. Apple has their own fix for the issue, but it didn't work for me at all (couldn't even install Windows their way). I'll try this right now and see if it works for me.

EDIT: Worked like a charm. Used Windows update to get the right video driver. Now if I could only get boot camp to install properly...