Bootcamp blinking cursor, Migrating HDD to SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheShaderDragon, Feb 8, 2011.

1. TheShaderDragon macrumors newbie

So recently I started using a new SSD. I installed Windows 7 fresh on to the SSD, and it works fine. Originally, I had Mac OS X and Windows Vista (Setup by Bootcamp) on the main HDD of my mac pro.

I feel recently though, that the HDD Being present is bottlenecking my system, since when it boots up (It's set to always boot to Win7 now - The graphics setup is not flashable for OS X), it spends a decent amount of time reading from the SSD, then taking me to a system selection screen, asking between Vista and 7.

I decided to try removing the HDD, and just using the SSD. And in doing so, the system booted up only to a little white cursor line DOS'y thing in the top left corner, blinking on and off. There seemed to be nothing I could do to get it to keep going. Upon putting the HDD back in, it worked again.

I'm curious what the problem could be, and what to do about it.

If this has something to do with the SSD lacking an EFI Partition... What do i do about that? Is there a way to manually add it or something?

2. elvisizer macrumors 6502

sounds like the boot files ended up on the old HD instead of the SSD. you can move those around, but it's a little tricky. the easiest way to fix this is to boot from the windows 7 installation DVD with the old HD removed from the system, and then use the automatic boot repair option. It should find the windows installation on the SSD and set up a new BCD environment on that drive that will boot the machine.