Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

demariners

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
I got boot camp working great yesterday but I notice when I boot to windows it is very slow booting up into windows. It is very fast booting to Mac side. I have a fusion setup btw. Sometimes it takes about 1-2 minutes to boot up. Is there a way to fix/speed up this process?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Keep in mind that the Fusion drive is made up of two different physical devices: a spinning hard drive, and an SSD. The OS X boot system is on the SSD, and uses the hard drive for room when it needs the space. As you know, that makes the OS X system quite speedy.
The Boot Camp partition, and Windows, is using a partition that is created on the hard drive. So, Windows boots from the hard drive, and doesn't use the SSD.
And, boots at the speed that is reasonable for a spinning hard drive.

demariners

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Yes I understand but we are talking between 5-10 minutes to boot up. I do not think that i normal at all.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You do need to mention those longer boot times as part of your inquiry, so people will know what you mean.
Your OP said 1-2 minutes to boot into Windows, which seems OK for a spinning drive.
But, yes, 5 to 10 minutes can seem significantly longer.
If you initially had normal boots to Windows, and now quite slow, then I would first suspect your Windows software setup, additional apps installed, downloading malware from dodgy sites, etc, etc. (Bad luck can make that happen pretty quickly :D )
Have you tried some of the Windows speedup tips, like cleaning out unused files, defragging the hard drive, etc, etc. There's a lot of tricks to try on some of the Windows support sites. Windows being what it is, you may need to clone your Windows partition, Boot to your Boot Camp Assistant, remove the Boot Camp partition, then recreate it, and restore Windows again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.