Bootcamp boot issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by StefanG, Oct 18, 2013.

1. StefanG macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I installed Windows 8 in parallel to OS X using bootcamp. For some reasons Windows 8 is not always booting correctly. Within a few sections (after selecting Windows 8 using the ALT key before) the screen turns black (off?) and nothing happens. I can more or less reproduce the issue all the time performing a cold start. Starting OS X first, followed by a restart and selecting Windows 8 next is normally more successful. I thought I will ask you guys first before contacting Apple...

Specs of the iMac are in the Signature. Same behaviour using a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro and Pro N. I am using the latest Nvidia driver for the GTX 780M.

2. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

how long did you wait for windows to boot. windows takes a lot longer to boot then osx. are you sure you just didnt wait long enough.

3. StefanG thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not about not waiting long enough :) Beside Windows 8 is booting from SSD quite fast. Instead of getting the Windows boot logo it turns black more or less instantly... Nobody else is having the issue?

4. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Just to clarify:

- How did you create the partition?
    - Did you use the latest Bootcamp drivers, which only the Boot Camp Assistant spits out (5.0.52xx, not the 5.0.5033 from the website)?
    - When it turns "black" is there a flashing cursor in the top left? (which indicates it's booting via BIOS, and not EFI)

5. StefanG thread starter macrumors newbie

Performing a cold start and selecting Windows normally results in a black screen without cursor etc. instantly. Not even the Windows 8 boot logo part is getting displayed.
    Restarting the machine is bringing up the Windows 8 bootlogo but not it's getting black after a couple of secs.

I installed Windows 8 using the Bootcamp option and created a USB drive containing all drivers etc a couple of days ago. Everything was done automatically using OS X. For the install I selected the EFi option because otherwise bootcamp wasn't able to install it on the previous created partition. Hope this helps. When it is booting up correctly everything is fine. Just quite annoying to restart it over and over (using the power button).

6. Serban Suspended

Yes...you must have the original Windows...or at least an activated copy.

7. StefanG thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not sure if the last answer make any sense in relation to the issue but here is an update. I created another Bootcamp USB disk and reinstalled Windows 8 Pro N. I used the EFI option for the install (showing up when pressing 'option' because the USB one wasn't allowing me to \install on a GPT partition). Next I installed all driver via the bootcamp followed by an update of Windows 8 and upgrade to Windows 8.1. I haven't touched the Nvidia drivers yet (311.71) because the GeForce Experience tool told me they are up to date. I noticed before (previous install) that the latest Nvidia WHQL driver seems to be not working because it cannot detect the graphic card. This time I ignored the Beta driver and sticked to the original bootcamp one. So far everything is working fine.

8. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

That was some important information you left out ;)

(the beta driver (331.40) has issues right now, including the screen going black when the driver often crashes)

9. StefanG thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't had the issue since I reinstalled Windows 8.1 and sticked to the original Nvidia drivers...

Are the problems limited to the latest beta and whql drivers or is it a general problem with bootcamp and Nvidia mobile drivers?

10. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

The latest beta drivers have a ton of problems, including regular driver crashes and black screens. I can't even install them on my machine: it black screens for 10s during the install process and then my machine reboots itself when the driver doesn't come back.

Best to wait until a new WHQL (or just a non-beta) driver with 780M support hits.

11. Serban Suspended

@StefanG: why do you have the 15" retina MBP and also the 13" rMBP ?:D:D

12. StefanG, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

StefanG thread starter macrumors newbie

Current status:
    No more issues since I sticked to 311.71.

Video driver question:
    Does it make sense to have a independent thread linked to Nvidia driver topic?

Equipment question:
    I bought a 15" rMBP for myself and the plan was to add a 27" Thunderbolt screen to it. I hoped that Apple will actually release an updated version of the 27" Thunderbolt model using the design of the late 2012 iMac but this wasn't working out so far. So we decided to have an iMac as main computer in the living room for work, multimedia and gaming and to continue to use the 15" rMBP whenever I need the mobility (happens quite often). The 13" rMBP is for my wife. We had a look at the Haswell 13" MBA and the Ivy Bridge 13" rMBP. We both agreed that the retina display is worth the extra costs even if it means to stick to Ivy Bridge rather than Haswell processor (MBA or updated rMBP). Starting point for the 13" rMBP was that my wife recognised that the iPad is to limited for serious stuff. It's just a nice toy...