Bootcamp broken?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Whozha, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Whozha macrumors newbie

I did install bootcamp a while ago and then decided to delete it (with bootcamp assistant) .
    I did delete the windows partion but when i turn on the computer it takes me to a black screen with the text "insert boot disk and press any key".

Now i am trying to install a windows partion again on my mac but it always stop a the same spot, i have tried to let it to load for a long while and when i come back it was still at the same spot.
    Also sometimes when i try to make the partion i get the kernel panic and i am forced to turn off the computer.

so first, how do i install windows again? And second, how can i take away the message "insert boot disk and press any key"?

2. JaHull, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

JaHull macrumors member

Hold down the Option key as you start your computer then select your Mac OS X boot drive.
    Once in OS X open up System Preferences then click on Startup Disk.
    Click on your Mac boot drive, it should be titled something like Macintosh HD Mac OS X, 10.7.4

This should make your computer boot into OS X once again and not ask for a cd on the black screen.

After this is done I would go into the Boot Camp app and recreate your partition there.

3. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Wrong key; the option key will bring you to the boot disk select screen when held down during boot.

4. JaHull macrumors member

Yes thank you for the correction, I will edit my original post so not to confuse people.

5. Whozha thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, this did solve the start up problem.

I dident manage to make the partion, the only thing i manage to do, was to get the kernel panic two more times :(

6. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Try going into disk utility and repair the permissions on your OS X drive. If you keep getting kernel panics, is reinstalling OS X an option for you?

7. Whozha, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

Whozha thread starter macrumors newbie

I have repaired the disk several times before and it dident work.

If i reinstall OS X, will all my stuff delete? or will it be like it was before reinstall?

PS. Can you explain why it would work with reinstall?

8. JacaByte macrumors 6502

It sounds to me like the volume on which OS X is installed has been corrupted somehow, so starting with a fresh install of OS X would be my next step if it were my computer. That would tell me if the panics were being caused by software or hardware, but since they started happening after you used Bootcamp Assistant my gut feeling is the panics are caused by software, therefore a fresh reinstall of OS X should stop the panics.

And yes, you will lose your stuff if you reinstall OS X, I hope you have a time machine backup handy or some alternative? Somebody on these forums might have a better idea, one that does not involve reinstalling OS X or at least can save your stuff.

9. Whozha thread starter macrumors newbie

I run snowleopard right now and if i choose to upgrade to lion, will my stuff still delete?