Bootcamp broken?

Whozha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
I did install bootcamp a while ago and then decided to delete it (with bootcamp assistant) .
I did delete the windows partion but when i turn on the computer it takes me to a black screen with the text "insert boot disk and press any key".

Now i am trying to install a windows partion again on my mac but it always stop a the same spot, i have tried to let it to load for a long while and when i come back it was still at the same spot.
Also sometimes when i try to make the partion i get the kernel panic and i am forced to turn off the computer.

so first, how do i install windows again? And second, how can i take away the message "insert boot disk and press any key"?

JaHull

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
England
Hold down the Option key as you start your computer then select your Mac OS X boot drive.
Once in OS X open up System Preferences then click on Startup Disk.
Click on your Mac boot drive, it should be titled something like Macintosh HD Mac OS X, 10.7.4

This should make your computer boot into OS X once again and not ask for a cd on the black screen.

After this is done I would go into the Boot Camp app and recreate your partition there.

Last edited:
Comment

Whozha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Once in OS X open up System Preferences then click on Startup Disk.
Click on your Mac boot drive, it should be titled something like Macintosh HD Mac OS X, 10.7.4

This should make your computer boot into OS X once again and not ask for a cd on the black screen.
Thanks, this did solve the start up problem.

After this is done I would go into the Boot Camp app and recreate your partition there.
I dident manage to make the partion, the only thing i manage to do, was to get the kernel panic two more times :(

Comment

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
Try going into disk utility and repair the permissions on your OS X drive. If you keep getting kernel panics, is reinstalling OS X an option for you?

Comment

Whozha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Try going into disk utility and repair the permissions on your OS X drive. If you keep getting kernel panics, is reinstalling OS X an option for you?
I have repaired the disk several times before and it dident work.

If i reinstall OS X, will all my stuff delete? or will it be like it was before reinstall?

PS. Can you explain why it would work with reinstall?

Last edited:
Comment

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
It sounds to me like the volume on which OS X is installed has been corrupted somehow, so starting with a fresh install of OS X would be my next step if it were my computer. That would tell me if the panics were being caused by software or hardware, but since they started happening after you used Bootcamp Assistant my gut feeling is the panics are caused by software, therefore a fresh reinstall of OS X should stop the panics.

And yes, you will lose your stuff if you reinstall OS X, I hope you have a time machine backup handy or some alternative? Somebody on these forums might have a better idea, one that does not involve reinstalling OS X or at least can save your stuff.

Comment

Whozha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
I run snowleopard right now and if i choose to upgrade to lion, will my stuff still delete?

Comment