Bootcamp BSOD after enabling Filevault

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by gsilver, Jul 21, 2011.

1. gsilver macrumors member

I enabled Filevault on the SSD in my 2011 MBP and after doing so I get a "cache_manager" BSOD about 10 seconds after the desktop loads in my Windows 7 Bootcamp install.

I disabled Filevault and the BSOD goes away. Anyone else using Filevault and Bootcamp without issue?

2. ellis1884 macrumors newbie

same issue!

hi I am experiencing the same issue, I turned on FV for entire disk and no cannot boot into W7, soon after it BSoD and says cache error.

turning off FV now.

3. jwillickers macrumors newbie

Have you tried upgrading to Boot Camp 4.0?

I am having the exact same problem with FileVault 2 and Boot Camp/Win7 x64 on my iMac. Once FileVault was turned off, Windows worked fine again. Have you updated Boot Camp to version 4.0? I haven't tried this yet, so I don't know if it will fix the problem or not, but it was all I can think of at the moment.

4. gsilver thread starter macrumors member

Updating Bootcamp did the trick. I ran apple software update from within Bootcamp and there was another update. I turned Filevault back on and it's working fine now.

I did notice that the Recovery partition isn't a boot option when Filevault is enabled as well.

5. jwillickers macrumors newbie

Updating Bootcamp worked for me as well.

When you have FileVault on, you can get to the Recovery partition by holding down Command-R at startup.

6. wyager macrumors newbie

Same problem for me. I wish apple told us we had to update windows before enabling filevault, now I have to wait 5 hours to use windows. Oh well.

7. risstar macrumors newbie

Another option (taken from a German developer forum) instead of updating Bootcamp is to delete the files AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys in the folder Windows/System32/drivers. With that, windows does not try to mount the (encrypted) Macintosh harddrive and the error is gone. To be safe, I just renamed the file endings from .sys to .sys_.

Also, in order to get write access to the NTFS drive I had to install the test version of the Tuxera ntfs driver with fuse.

Hope that helps!

8. auto4d macrumors newbie

A solution I found for BSoD on windows bootcamp was software called WhoCrashed, which is a very usable crash dump analyser.

If you disable (by re-naming) your AppleHFS.sys etc files you can lost access to your external hard drive (which I did).

In my case BSoD was caused by Zone Alarm. Stupid huh?

Switched to Comodo and all now works.

9. smswings14 macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem with everyone else. When you update bootcamp, are you doing it with apple updater in windows? or in mac? And how? When I run both updaters they both say software is up to date. I have bootcamp assistant 4.0 on mac and bootcamp 3.2 on windows. Please help!

10. jwillickers macrumors newbie

Using the Apple Software Updater within Windows is probably the easiest way to upgrade to Boot Camp 4.0.

The other way is to use Boot Camp Assistant to download the update and burn it to a disc. Then you have to boot back into Windows and run the installer off the disc.

11. smswings14 macrumors newbie

Alright. I burned the drivers to a disc to reinstall them. But when I got to run the setup (even with run as administrator). It says bootcamp64 is unsupported. I installed the drivers on my computer a long time ago. Can anyone help me on how to install them again?

Also, is everyone here using a macbook air? I heard that only the macbook air's were receiving the updates right now.

12. jwillickers macrumors newbie

13. smswings14 macrumors newbie

Mine does, I've been running bootcamp for over a year now with windows 7 on it. It's worked fine, I just wana make sure my stuff is safe.

14. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Thank you. Really, thank you. No, I mean seriously, thank you! I nearly thought I had to upgrade to Windows 7. Man, am I glad that I (finally, after a lot of googling) stumbled upon your tip. Vista is still chugging along just fine for me. No upgraditis there. And FileVault's FDE is too good a feature to disable only to be able to mount the volume from Boot Camp. What happens in Windows, stays in Windows. (Besides, Paragon NTFS enables me to write to the Windows volume from within Lion. Much more convenient.)