(Bootcamp) BSOD Error, do I need to take it back?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Majora, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Majora macrumors newbie

Well about a week and a half ago, I got a new MacBook Pro from Best Buy, and installed bootcamp the same day. Up until right now I haven't any problems, but many times today when I'm booted into Windows 7, I get the blue screen of death. This has happens when I scan my system with an antivirus, and it happens when it gets to the E drive where the Mac OS is. The bsod error said PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I read online that it's normally caused by a program not being able to access memory in the ram or something, but I'm thinking it's because it can't reach the memory in the other drive. Does that mean my MacBook pro is defective? I only have two days left to return it so I want to know for sure. Because I'm getting stop errors on windows does that mean I'll get the mac stop error later because of defective ram? Please help.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Google around, but I'm pretty sure that people recommend EXCLUDING your Mac drives from being scanned by Windows-based AV programs.

3. Majora thread starter macrumors newbie

If I already did try to scan it, it's not going to damage it, is it?

4. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Windows can't read HFS+

5. Majora thread starter macrumors newbie

It scanned around 10000 files before it bluescreened

6. Rectified^ macrumors newbie

Don't scan your Mac OS partition as was previously stated. Windows cannot read HFS+. A page is a block of data that can reside in main memory or on the hard disk. A page fault occurs when the program (namely, your AV) needs to access memory that is not currently residing in your main memory, and must go to the hard disk to swap the page into main memory. However Windows' page tables aren't including the Mac OS partition, so you get the BSOD.

TLDR: Don't scan Mac OS. I doubt the AV did any harm to your partition though.

7. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

No it means Windows is defective. Hence why you bought a Mac.

8. Majora thread starter macrumors newbie

ok guys, so my computer hardware is fine, and I have no need to take it back? That'd be a relief considering I took back 6 windows computers before finally getting a mac.

9. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Like the others said, don't let your AV sofware scan your OSX partition. It's pointless and obviously causing you problems.

10. Majora thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I understand that. But I just want to verify that it is this causing the blue screen and that there is NOTHING wrong with my mac hardware or anything that would cause it to be needed to be taken back.

11. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I doubt it, otherwise more threads would have already been posted about BSoD in Bootcamp.

I run Bootcamp and an AV software and don't BSoD, but my software also doesn't scan the OSX partition.

You posted that the consistent activity up to the point of BSoD is that your AV software is scanning your OSX partition. If that is correct, then that must be the cause. I would think so, if I were in your shoes, anyways. Out of the box, Windows doesn't handle HFS+ fielsystems, so this would make sense that AV software doesn't, either.

12. Majora thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

13. Philflow macrumors 65816