[BootCamp] Cannot restore partitions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by luvTN, Jul 5, 2007.

1. luvTN macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I installed windows vista on my MB some months ago. Now I want to uninstall it and restore my HDD to 1 partition, but when I try to restore it using Bootcamp, it's still there, no change at all. I think it's because I used NTFS for Vista. Anyone knows how to re-format it to FAT32 or restore it? Tired with Windows now...

2. Asnyers macrumors newbie

I don't think you will be able to re-format a partition, you can only delete it. You said it youself, you used NTFS for Vista, so you will have to re-format the whole drive if you aren't able to delete the Windows partition.

3. reflex macrumors 6502a

Start the Bootcamp application in OSX, it has an option to merge the two partitions again.

4. nbusse macrumors member

nbusse

unpartitioning?

I'd like to unpartition my drive, can't find a way to do it w/ disk utility. Can I really just delete the drive? Have tried re-installing the OS a couple of times, there's never an option to unpartition.

5. jbeck8176 macrumors newbie

I have found a solution but still cant tell you the exact answer.

When boot camp sets up it's partitions there are 3. 1 large one with two smaller partitions surrounding it.

If you recreate these partitions then boot camp will restore the original partition.

The problem is I don't know what the original partition table looks like. So if anyone would let me know I can explain more.

**update**
    1. Insert Ubuntu live CD or any other bootable partitioning tool
    2. Delete all partitions but the OS X partitions
    3. Create a FAT32 partition ***be sure to leave 128MB unpartitioned space between the OS X partitions and the FAT32***

Boot Camp uses this unpartitioned space for some reason.

4. Boot OS X and open Terminal '
    5. Erase the newly made FAT32 partition by using the command "sudo diskutil eraseVolume MS-DOS FAT32 nonbootable /dev/disk0s3" (/dev/disk0s3) being the location of the FAT32 drive found by entering "diskutil list"
    6. After that and the drive is mounted by OS X start Boot Camp Assistant and use it to restore the drive.