Bootcamp chopped hard disk in half and i cant find other half

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frycook, Jun 26, 2009.

1. frycook macrumors newbie

Macbook pro 15"
    I was trying to install windows on my pro, and i had bootcamp chop the hard disk in half, but then my disk drive didnt read the cd so i had to download and install some file. and after i restarted i could no longer access the windows side, it just disappeared.....plus i cannot reset my hard disk, cant erase it, and i cant reinstall OS X because there is no memory left..

So i was wondering what are my options from here?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the last sentence doesnt make much sense. RAM should clear when you restart your computer, unless you meant there is no HDD space left?

either way i would recommend booting from the install CD and seeing what disc utility says. then try an archive and reinstall. otherwise you may have to do a clean wipe and start anew.

3. frycook thread starter macrumors newbie

Well when i tried to reinstall with the OS X disk, it said could not install because there is ZERO memory left.... well it is going to apple store tomorrow and my night long ordeal is almost over it will be fixed

4. mmulin macrumors 6502

If you didn't install Windows, you won't be able to access it nor see it as a startup disk.
    Can you see the Windows partition in Disk Utility?

If you run Boot Camp again, you will have an option to revert the Windows partition and rejoin the space to the Mac partition. Did you try that?

You always can start up from the MacOSX DVD which came with your computer, run Disk Utility, and erase everything (including the disk layout), then proceed to reinstall MacOSX. Don't forget to backup your data before.

Btw, you saying you have no space left after splitting your HD. Always account for about 10% of HD space to be free. Otherwise your OS will be more prone to run sluggish. This holds true for any OS (Win, OSX, *niX)..

5. frycook thread starter macrumors newbie

well i ran bootcamp, and it doesnt give me the option to put the HDD back together. it asks me if i want to re-partition my HDD, soo I then went to disk utility and it wont let me repair or erase it for some reason:confused: and i stayed up all night trying to fix it to no avail:(

oh and i did have like 50gb free on the Mac OS X side of it, but i guess i did the erase free space, which in hind sight was a bad idea, and now i am stuck.....

6. mmulin macrumors 6502

Too bad. Something went wrong obviously while installing Windows.

It won't let you do anything because it is the boot drive. You need to run Disk Utility from the MacOSX DVD after booting from it.

this is usually what people who are trying to help need to know to help

Erasing free space just overwrites unused disk space for security, for example, usally with 0s & 1s. If you do "Empty Trash", it doesn't actually erase any data, just the catalogue information for the data. "Erase Free Space" takes care of this. But, it doesn't destroy any partitioning information.

So, and Apple Store won't do anything differently probably, do this:
    - Backup up your data
    - Boot from MacOSX DVD - not from HD!
    - Before continuing the MacOSX installer, choose "Disk Utility" from the "Tools" menu and repartition your hard drive