Bootcamp & copy of Windows for gaming vs. console?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Frog53, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Frog53 macrumors newbie

I just wanted to get a survey of opinions (hopefully more knowledgeable than my own) on what the best route would be for this.
    I have a 27" iMac I bought last summer (3.1 Ghz Intel Core i5 processor and 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory) and I'm debating the best route to go for gaming, namely purchasing a copy of Windows and running bootcamp for PC gaming, versus just going with a console.
    What would be the drawbacks/positive reasons for going the bootcamp route? It seems sound to me, as a copy of Windows is cheaper than a PS3 or 360, and I think my computer has more power than a console.
    Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong or misled anywhere here, very open to any tips or advice.
    Thanks

2. Aristor macrumors member

Definitely go with the windows boot camp option! I have the same computer as you and I got boot camp. As someone who has been playing the Xbox 360 since launch, let me say the difference is staggering. The graphics are so much better, the textures much sharper, the game runs much faster, and there are literally no load times. Also, computers allow user created content called mods, which add 100s of hours onto games. No competition, get the bootcamp.

3. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

Depends on the type of game you want to play, I guess. For platformers, fighting games, racing games en JRPG's, definitely get a console. For FPS, strategy, MMORPG's, get a Mac/Bootcamp.

Also, a console's lifespan is usually a lot longer than that of a Mac (in terms of being able to play the latest games). Buy a new mac now, chances are that two years down the road, it won't be able to play the latest games with full graphic settings anymore, whereas a console will last you 5 or 6 years (or even longer) without having to worry whether you have the muscle to run that latest blockbuster game...

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh my, go with bootcamp.

Consoles have some great exclusives mind you. So I'd suggest looking into those for a start. There is no GT5, no Zelda, no Halo (at least the newer ones) or God of War for PC. There are alternatives if you're not into specific series.

The best part of PC gaming is being able to use whatever controller you want, and if there isn't native support for it you can use applications to simulate keypresses or other controllers. Also everything looks much better (fullscreen 720/1080p at 30fps against whatever your graphics card can handle, and your iMac will be able to handle a lot).

----------

Well, that depends. The games aren't changing too much because the bottleneck right now are those consoles. My 4 year old computer that ran Bioshock perfectly all those years ago can still run the likes of Crysis 2, Skyrim. It's just PC games have the option of going beyond the settings used in the console versions of those games. That whole "computers age faster" doesn't apply to modern gaming.

However, with the next generation of console games around the corner your computer will start to show its age quicker than it would during the middle of a console cycle.

5. Frog53 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much, this definitely helps a lot. Will use this most for playing GTA IV. I've seen so many different mods online that I want to try out, but I've never played it on the PC. Just reading your replies has me all excited :)
    One more question, what would be the smartest and cheapest route for purchasing/obtaining a copy of Windows? Will what version or edition you get affect your gaming experience in any way?
    Thanks again. :D

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh god yes, get GTA for Windows. I don't use mods, but I play multiplayer with a friend who does and it's just masses of fun. It's fun without mods too but being able to fly a car or invert the physics is amazing in multiplayer. The console version is awful in comparison... 24-30fps, not even a HD resolution, comparable to PC version on medium settings, slower loading and pop-in.

Get an OEM copy of Windows 7. All you need is Home or Home Pro (I think it's called). You don't need Professional. Look into which one has the features you want that'll save you some money.

I don't know the "rules" about buying OEM software, I picked up my copy on the day I bought my new iMac.

7. Frog53 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is awesome. I'm excited :D
    Okay, one more question for you- is setting up bootcamp/Windows 7 once you've downloaded everything difficult? Reading about partitioning hard drives and everything else involved scares me a little bit, but is actually doing it complicated or does it help walk you through the process?
    Just want to make sure I'll know what to expect when I make the dive here.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's easy. You can even prepare it now, just use Disk Utility to split your main HDD up into two. Make sure the other one is FAT32 (Windows will format this to NTFS). Nothing to worry about all.

I set up OSX, copied everything over from my old system filling up 30% of the HDD then split the HDD 50/50 with Mac and Windows.

9. Brunchies macrumors newbie

Go with Bootcamp, trust me its a lot better. I used to almost exclusively play games on my Xbox 360 and now with Windows on my Imac, the only game I've used it for is La Noire because of the optimization issues on Pcs.

10. Frozzie macrumors regular

But you have to lower settings and play at such low resolution it looks awful... I would not even be paid to play games like that. Not to say having to download patches, optimisation guides/tools, tweaking stuff...

Consoles are so much more comfortable in that games will always look right. PC games, well after they are outdated, the lowered graphic settings are depressing.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't think you fully understand how it works.

2005 - console games and PC games looked the same.
    2012 - console games look great, PC games look better. Even if you haven't bought a new PC in years you'll still be able to match the quality of a console. Just because you can't run it at it's max isn't a bad thing.
    I play Crysis 2 on my iMac on medium-high settings, and on my desktop PC on it's highest. As a developer/game director myself I find it very hard to notice the difference between such a finely tuned game+engine. Only when you switch to lowest will most games look bad.

Besides... any modern dedicated graphics card will run any game at typical console spec.

I don't understand why a console game running at 720p, 30fps with settings on low "looks right" but doing the same for a PC game is depressing. Care to explain?

12. Frozzie macrumors regular

My point was that you have to buy a new pc hardware upgrade every year or two. If you stick with PC graphic card and a CPU that were out in 2005/2006ish, you cannot play games released this year on a quality as good as on 360/PS3 at same resolution, because optimisation will be poorer. And you have no choice but to a) switch to lower settings/resolution or b) buy new hardware. If only I could buy a gaming PC and not have to upgrade for 5-6 years and be able to play games at medium settings and good resolution all the time, it would be the time I move to PC. I hate having to upgrade every year, too much hassle.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not at all. If you go out right now and buy a £200 graphics card, you're set until the next generation of consoles (which is only around the corner). I built a PC in the summer of 2008 just to play Crysis, I'm still able to play all the latest games at medium-high settings, at resolution of 1680x1050.
    Unless you're buying cheap graphics cards there is no reason it won't last. Even a mid-range card would last more than 2 years.