Bootcamp! Crapcamp more like it!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookProJoe, May 17, 2008.

1. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Well that's just f-ng great. I used bootcampt to partition 80 gigs for XP. when it was done it told me to reboot. Now when I run bootcamp to install XP instead of taking me to the "Start the windows installer" like its supposed to, it DOESNT recognize that partition and it asks me to partition again. Except now the hard drive is 80 gigs smaller!!!!!

I ran disk utility and it says invalid block count!

I didnt think Id have these kinds of problems....

RATS! I dont want to reformat my drive and reinstall X.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It shouldn't be that hard to restore from Time Machine. Just erase the drive and return it to a single partition. Then use the partitioner again.

3. GAS macrumors regular

You should be able to delete the faulty partition using disk utility and expand your osx partition back to normal size.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You did have the XP installer format the partition, right? I had a problem where I saw it was already formatted correctly, but apparently bootcamp does something funky to that bit of the disk. But you can delete the windows partition and restore the 80 Gbs w/ disk utility.

5. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

Re-run the Boot Camp Assistant and restore your hard drive to a single volume. I tried the Boot Camp way twice and had this same problem, then decided to skip it. If I really need any Windows apps that can't run in Crossover, I'll get VMWare or Parallels.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Run Bootcamp assistant to restore your HD to one volume.

Then boot via the install disc, and run Disk Utility and repair permissions, until there are no corrections, then repair the disc until there are no fixes.

Then run Bootcamp assistant to create your Windows partition. Reboot with Windows XP w/SP2 or Vista. Format the partition from within Windows.

Before doing the above, it is wise to back up your Mac HD to an external via Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Bootcamp is NOT crapcamp. Had you installed it the way Apple clearly tells you to you wouldn't have that problem.

8. MacBookProJoe thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Ok smart guy, how have a I made a mistake with it's installation?

It was on my computer when I got it. I started it the program. the first thing is asks you to do is to partition your HD. I did that. I selected 80gigs. After it was done it asked me to reboot. Idid that. After rebooting I ran bootcamp again like is says in the instructions. All it did was to ask me to partition AGAIN! It didnt recognize the first partition. ALong with not recognizing the first partition it DID recognize that my HD was now 80 smaller than before I partitioned it the first time.

Something isnt working, and its nothing I did.

PS, I printed the instructions and was operating bootcamp from them!

9. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

it shouldn't reboot after partition it should ask for the disc then reboot then you should have t press a key to enter the setup disc for XP so u clearly made a mistake

10. MacBookProJoe thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Clearly? Ive clearly followed the printed directions!!! Ive tried it twice now. When the partition is finished I get this (black almost error message) message telling me to reboot the computer.

What is the problem? Am I asking it to partition TO MUCH hard disk space? I have 140 gigs available and Im asking it to partition 80 gigs for XP.

This is very frustrating.

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Okay. Calm down. It's not the end of the world! And no, 80GB isn't too much. I didn't follow the instructions but yet was able to partition 100GB and install XP on it. The 'black screen', is it a kernal panic? Search for 'panic.log' via Spotlight. It might be a problem with the BootCamp installer, or another app open at the time.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Bootcamp is usually very easy to use to install Windows XP w/SP2 or Vista.

My guess is that you are missing a step.

My suggestion is to go here and download the pdf installation guide. Then follow those steps.

13. sambapati87 macrumors member

i had the same problem including the kernel panic.... you aren't doing anything wrong!!

here's how i fixed it

1.) reboot with a Mac OS X install CD in the drive while holding down the C key (came with your MBP)

2.) go to applications -> disk utility

3.) repair your hard drive (click 'repair disk' after selecting your main volume). (this will fix your invalid block count problem and restore your 80gigs)

4.) partition out an 80gig, MS-DOS (FAT32) partition using disk utility while still booted with your install disc, not bootcamp. i named mine 'WINDOWS' just to be consistent with the way bootcamp does it, but I don't know that that is neccesary.

5.) restart with the windows install CD in the drive while holding the C key

6.) select the the new 80gb partition for installation, and tell the windows installer to partition it (again) as FAT (do not use 'quick', use the 'full' partition)

7.) continue install as normal.

no idea why this is happening, but a few people are having the same problem. the above steps worked for me.

14. MacBookProJoe thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Thank you.

Question 1, isnt this install "Bootcamp" dependant? And arent you bypassing bootcamp when you install they way youve explained?

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

No the install of XP or any other OS for that matter is not bootcamp dependant,sure it makes life easier but you don't need it

Oh and bootcamp 2.1 should be installed while in windows but i see you edited that bit out

16. MacBookProJoe thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Thanks Neil. I tried to partition my disk while I had hard booted off of my system disk (had to repair the disk after yet another BC failure) but I couldnt figure out how to partition it. It seemed that you had to erase the disk in the process of partitioning it.

17. sambapati87 macrumors member

You shoulnd't have to. Select the disk on the left panel, go to "partitions" then change the drop down menu to "2 Partitions". Then you should be able to "drag" the space around and create a new volume without erasing anything. I did not have to erase my disk.

18. MacBookProJoe thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Well Mr. Apple Tech guy said, "gosh, I dont know why boot camp wont work for you. I guess you'll have to use disk utility and format your HD!

****, that's what I didnt want to do. I did it anyway.

Now Im running Mac with 150 Gig and XP Pro with 80 gig.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So it's working now?

If not the way to fix it is to go and boot off your OS X disk, go to Tools->Disk Utility, select your HDD and select the partition tab. There you will see the two partitions; if there is a Windows partition you don't want or want to fix, select it and then the [-]. It will ask if you want to confirm and then you will have one partition. Then drag the little arrow under the OS X partition to the full size of the HDD and then select Apply and your HDD should be resized to full. Go back to Disk Utility and Repair Permissions on your OS X partition. Now you can go back to Bootcamp and create a new partition like normal.

20. MacBookProJoe thread starter macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Thanks, but the only reason I had to do it that way was because boot camp wasnt working correctly.

21. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

yea when it was partitoning mine it wasnt going and then had the black box or resttartness basically it told me to restart and i couldnt erase the partiton that it made for xp so yea and no time machine i recommend to just partiton during the installation over boot camp its not very steady

22. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

i think you hold option and then boot into os x. then run boot camp assistant and it will recognise you already have a partition. you can then choose to remove the partition.

23. PeaceOut macrumors member

I think you forgot to insert your xp cd before you reboot.

-insert winxp (make sure it's sp2) then restart your computer.

When the cd is inserted it'll start the windows installation and you have to format to NTFS or FAT through the windows installation. Basically, you have a 80gig partition in the raw format so no OS will recognize it.

I did mine a couple days ago and it's working pretty well. No problems what so ever. Just need a little more ram so I can run winxp virtually a little better.

Good luck.

How'd you get a 230gig hdd?

24. Matek macrumors 6502a

Most operating systems display disk space with incorrect units (Gigabytes instead of Gibibytes). A 250 gigabyte hard drive has about 230 gibibytes of space, which is then incorrectly presented as 230 gigabytes. So he's probably using a 250 GB laptop drive.

25. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

what the crap is a gibibyte? I thought they based the it on a straight up number of bytes measured in 1000s but once you formated it in binary form (1024) it ended up giving you less? (are the 1000s related to gibibytes?):confused: