Bootcamp Creating Win7 USB Installer

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SBacklin, Jul 26, 2013.

1. SBacklin macrumors member

I downloaded the appropriate and legit Win7 ISO. I told bootcamp to make a USB installer. It asked me to point to the ISO, which I did. I selected the USB disk that I put it and off it went. However, when the computer rebooted, it says no boot disk found. I'm pretty sure its the USB stick (Kingston DataTraveler). I've seen this before. My question is how in the world are we supposed to know which will work or won't. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong. I've tried different Kingston DataTravelers and a PNY but, it will not work. Does anyone have any ideas/input?

2. Bonut macrumors member

you need to make sure the usb drive is formated for windows first not mac. I had the same issue, was driving myself crazy then I thought to try that and it worked fine.

3. SBacklin thread starter macrumors member

Well the tool within Bootcamp is automated. The drive is already formatted for Windows but, when you go to create the Win7 USB drive, it formats it and copies the files over. So it sounds like to me that the tool within bootcamp is totally useless. I'm guessing I missing something somewhere. LOL

4. Serban Suspended

the bootcamp installed me the windows 7 as well..so the first restart was when win7 was installed

5. SBacklin thread starter macrumors member

Huh?

Anyway, I downloaded the ISO, plugged in the USB drive I was planning on using. I opened up BC Assist. I checked the box to create the Windows 7 USB drive and the box to install Windows. The next screen asked for the location of the ISO and made sure the thumb drive was listed as the place where the files were to be copied. All is good so far. I continue on and it says its going to format the drive and makes sure I understood anything on there will be erased. I continue. It formats then copies the Windows files over. Then the machine reboots to start the install process but says no bootable device has been detected, press any key....

Bootcamp's own tool isn't working. As I mentioned, I've tried both my kingston and pny drives.