Bootcamp default OS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Genghis Khan, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i'v just reinstalled bootcamp and and now with vista...but it keeps using windows as my default OS...how do i change this?

(if the answer is bootcamp...tell me where because i've already looked and failed)

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

During bootup, hold down X to go into OSX...once in OSX, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk, and choose Macintosh HD and click on "Target"...restart your PC and OSX should be the default :)

3. Genghis Khan thread starter macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

4. koops macrumors regular

I read somwhere that if you hold down the option key, you can choose which OS to boot into as well, when I hold down the option key on boot, nothing happens and it just loads the default OS? am I doing somehting wrong?

5. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

If you really and truly do have two OSes installed on your machine, then you may be pressing the option key too late. You have to press it right after pressing the power button, like before the screen even powers on (just to be sure). That's the only thing I can think of, in any case.

6. Genghis Khan thread starter macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

yes...if all else fails...hold the option key down before u turn the comp on

7. koops macrumors regular

I tried this, but to no avial?

I never had bootcamp 1.3 so i'm wondering whether now 1.4 supports a control panel OS selectopr in windows, has 1.4 got rid of being able to boot into an OS using the option key? the option key is the one right nextt to the space bar right?

8. Ninden macrumors member

Ninden

1.4 supports the option key to choose the boot partition, I've used it.

There should be an option in the windows control panel that was installed with the Apple boot camp drivers to allow you to select the primary boot drive as well.
    I can't remember what the control panel program is called, but it is in the Boot camp help documentation installed in windows.

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

The startup disk selector is below BootCamp, its in the firmware.

The Option key is not the one beside the space bar. It is the key second from the left at the bottom of your keyboard. It should be clearly labeled as option. If your using a Windows keyboard, use the Alt key.

10. koops macrumors regular

Thanks, its me being an idiot!! (pressing wrong key), although its not the second from the left (3rd on the uk keyboards). Thanks for your help! forgive me i'm a windows switcher!

11. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

There is...from the guide:

1. In Windows, click the Boot Camp system tray icon and choose Boot Camp Control Panel.
    2. Select the start up disk with the OS you want to use by default.
    3. If you want to start that OS now, click restart.

That's all well and good, except I don't have the icon they refer to. *sigh*

12. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If you installed the drivers the icon should load in the tray and in the Windows Control Panel. If they don't appear, a reinstall of the BootCamp drivers may be in order.

13. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Well then there's my problem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=342476

14. hopejr macrumors 6502

Actually, not third from the left on UK keyboards, it's the third from the left on laptop keyboard (I notice you have a MBP ;))

BTW, some language keyboards don't have the words "Option" printed on the key, instead they have the ⌥ logo (i.e. the logo in the menus for option).

15. Gryfon19 macrumors regular

I want to boot to the OS selection screen using Boot Camp, but holding the Option button doesn't work for me. I've been in both OS's and know they work properly. I have a new Apple wired keyboard (with software update installed). Any ideas?

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

press option when you hear the start up chime.

17. Gryfon19 macrumors regular

Again, the Option key is not bringing me to a screen to select which OS I want to boot. Which one boots also seems to be a bit of a crapshoot despite the fact I have selected Mac OS X as the default. Anyone else had this issue?

18. Genghis Khan thread starter macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

make sure it's the alt/option key, and hold it down before you press the power button...that's the only thing i can say

or once you go into whichever OS it's going into...go to control panel/system preferences and select which OS you want to start (in mac it's system preferences-->startup disk...in windows there should be a boot camp icon on the taskbar)

19. hopejr macrumors 6502

I would say hold it down until the menu comes up.

20. zinduar macrumors newbie

I have macbook pro with 10.6.4(Snow Leopard) and it requires to hold down only ALT key while system booting to choose any operating system. Regards...